Fractal Cygnus X2 (doesn’t matter which unit): too much bass?

paisleywookiee

Rock Star
I’m having a bitch of a time getting patches I like with the FM9. Running just a Smallbox model, with a York Audio Creamback, 80Hz/8Khz hi/lo, with a Tele into it.

Any tips? In the EQ for standard TMB, my bass knob is at 3 o’clock or less already.

Should I run higher on the high pass in the cab, EQ it elsewhere, or something else?

I’m having a b*tch of a time getting patches I like with the FM9. Running just a Smallbox model, with a York Audio Creamback, 80Hz/8Khz hi/lo, with a Tele into it.

Any tips? In the EQ for standard TMB, my bass knob is at 3 o’clock or less already.

Should I run higher on the high pass in the cab, EQ it elsewhere, or something else?
I usually do 100 to 110 Hz for my high pass. Not sure how much that would change things

Always depends on the IR and your type of monitors
Try the Proximity settings in the cab block
1686303147998.png

Dang, I guess that dude really struck a nerve in the other thread.......the Helix-Head butthurt found it's way into this one! Unprovoked even...View attachment 7983
This is not directed at you in particular or even the obviously sarcastic - and dare I say very funny - posts in this thread prior to yours but let's not support the whole "them and us" narrative - it draws far too many parrallels to that other place we're all trying to distance ourselves from...

It depends a lot on things like volume, speaker placement, the room etc. If your room emphasises particular bass frequencies that might be a problem.

Easy thing to try is moving your speakers further away from walls and see if the situation is improved.

That said, just try different IRs. In most cases a 57+160 dual IR combination from the factory cabs (whichever you prefer) works out well for me where the 160 is dialed at a bit lower level to fill in and smooth out the 57.

JBL monitors on ISO pads.

So I've got the following:

JBL 306 (6.5" woofer) monitors on ISO-130 stands
Axe FX 3 on the latest firmware
Friedman Small Box model with default settings
York Audio 2x12 Creamback Mix 01 IR

It honestly sounds fine without any cuts on my end. I'm checking the RTA coming off the Amp/Cab and there's a natural roll off happening a little over 100 Hz. If I add in the cuts around 80-100 Hz it controls the very low frequencies a little more. York Audio impulses have less low end than many others I've tried in the first place, I can often run minimal cuts on the lows, then cut the highs to taste.

Only two things I can think of:

Try changing the slope of the low cut to 12 db/octave or even higher, that can cut off more of the low end. You can try bumping it up closer to 100 Hz or even a little higher depending on the slope and how it sounds.

You may want to experiment with monitor placement in your room. If you don't have sound treatment, it's very possible you could have some wave reinforcements causing a big bump in the low end.

I was frustrated with my monitors a few weeks back and picked up a reference mic for $40 to measure the room. It turned out there was a big bump at around 150 Hz and then huge dips above and below it which screwed up the low end. Also one speaker measured different than the other due to placement. I ended up rearranging the room to sit against another wall and the low end issues smoothed out quite a bit and there was more L/R consistency.

Back