For the Love of Timmy

I've recently been going through a renaissance with the Timmy... again. I bought mine just a few days before the V2 was discontinued because I loved the model in my Axe Fx, especially when running it in front of Tweed-style amps. I loved the pedal instantly and experimented with it quite a bit. Even used it as a preamp into a tube poweramp for a little while in a "practice" rig. I was surprised how it simply does it all: clean boost, treble, boost, bass boost, mild drive, distortion, and even thick chunky fuzzy tones. Wondering if folks here have any insight into how and why a pedal can do so much with the most basic controls. Also makes me wonder just how many 4-knob drives are just Timmy clones, because the Volume-Gain-Treble-Middle layout seems to be so ubiquitous, at least in the last 10-15 years.

P.S. - the recent renaissance started when I boosted the front end of my Friedman IR-X with it. I could easily cop JCM800 tones out of what I think is a fairly smooth-ed out preamp sound! Tried similar settings in front of other amps in the Axe Fx that I found a bit bloated for my Drop-C guitars and WOW! Instant tight-yet-chunkiness.

Yeah I finally got around to trying it in the AxeFX and it was kinda nice in the all level no gain setting. Didn’t eliminate the low end like some of the more traditional OD pairings. Def want to play around with it more.

Didn’t eliminate the low end like some of the more traditional OD
The fact that the tone controls are a high-pass (pre-gain) filter and a low-pass (post-gain) filter is infuriatingly delightful to me. Such a simple idea that makes the pedal really versatile.

Back