Floyd Rose -- returning flat or sharp

Time for more Chablis and Carpenters tunes. The bridge is a balancing act. If there is insufficient string tension to counter the pull of the springs, the bridge will want to deck itself and the knife edges will dance around a bit and generally not go where you want them to. This is true of every Floyd from every manufacturer.
The bridge wanted to slip off of the posts, and was riding near the top of the < part of the post. Trying to move it to get it blocked would cause it to fall off several times.

Trying to get one installed in my gold M-1 Custom 87 Series and if it keeps messing up, I'm giving them away to the two people who messaged me. Not worth the hassle.

GIF by The Jerry Springer Show
At least the Floyd wants to hold onto the posts. That is at least one aspect of the design that isn't a pain in the ass.

At least the Floyd wants to hold onto the posts. That is at least one aspect of the design that isn't a pain in the ass.
I have no patience at all. I'm terrible :oops: :cuss :ROFLMAO: The Floyd is probably worst thing you could combine with my temperament :mad::LOL:

Mojo sent that you can get this thing sorted. I feel your pain!

I have no patience at all. I'm terrible :oops: :cuss :ROFLMAO: The Floyd is probably worst thing you could combine with my temperament :mad::LOL:

Mojo sent that you can get this thing sorted. I feel your pain!
Ditto. The Floyd is frustrating, especially floating (less so if not), but the Gotoh is fighting me thus far. I'm probably doing something wrong, though I wish I could just get it to work, because I do like the fine tuners and push in bar more vs the Floyd Rose 1000.

Ditto. The Floyd is frustrating, especially floating (less so if not), but the Gotoh is fighting me thus far. I'm probably doing something wrong, though I wish I could just get it to work, because I do like the fine tuners and push in bar more vs the Floyd Rose 1000.
You can get push-in bar replacements for regular and special Floyd Rose. I installed one on my FR special (although it's on the bench) but it looks good so far.

So the other Gotoh GE1996T went on my gold M-1 Custom 87 Series went on fine. It gave me a small bit of trouble at first, but nothing like the other guitar. I have it blocked with an L bracket, hex screw, and nut gimmick. Works fine. It also returns to pitch well.

One question, though: when stretching strings and intonating, I am pulling strings out, which can waste the string. Is the problem that I am not putting enough string into the saddle, or am I tightening the string clamp screw in the saddle too tight and it is basically severing the string? Any ideas?

For others reading this shit show everything you can do wrong done wrong with a Floyd. The trem ( any two post ) when used with a back stop will walk up the posts if the tension behind is considerably higher than the strings. This usually only happens when stringing up but it can also occur when you over tighten the springs. In a down bend only set up you only need enough tension to hold it during your typical bend. If you set it to just hold a three semitone bend on the G you are probably good to go. As for how hard to tighten the saddle lock; put the string in the middle vertically and to the bottom then tighten, tight but not stupid tight with a regular key. Get used to the feel. String stretching should not exceed typical bends .
Floyd rose trems ( the good ones) are easy to work with and live with once you get used to a few things. When you do they are almost impossible to put out of tune and by far the most in tune trem available.

As for how hard to tighten the saddle lock; put the string in the middle vertically and to the bottom then tighten, tight but not stupid tight with a regular key.
That's likely the issue. I'll have to learn the right "touch" to get it to hold, but not clamp too tight.

I can finger tighten typically (the sixth string not so much, as it has a D-Tuna). Should I give it an additional 1/8th to 1/4th turn with a key?

That's likely the issue. I'll have to learn the right "touch" to get it to hold, but not clamp too tight.

I learned this lesson the hard way with my first Floyd, but in the other direction. I wound up deforming a couple of the blocks, and because I was a dumb kid I didn’t know that you could get replacement blocks. This was a good decade before there was an internet.

By the way, the guitar wants a 40mm block. The Korean M-1 Custom has a 40mm block, which I was amazed by. The Indonesian one had a 34mm block. I looked at it with light from outside and notice it was sloped to make up for it so the springs weren't catching. I haven't a clue why Ltd used a 34mm block. I'm glad I bought 36mm and 40mm blocks so I had the right block the guitar wants.

I learned this lesson the hard way with my first Floyd, but in the other direction. I wound up deforming a couple of the blocks, and because I was a dumb kid I didn’t know that you could get replacement blocks. This was a good decade before there was an internet.
The string was causing divots in the saddle inserts? Makes sense if it is weak metal. A lot of the early 2000s Licensed Floyd Rose bridges weren't great from what I have read.

Back