Feedback Request—MIDI on Pedals

How should pedals incorporate MIDI I/O?

• 1/8" (BOSS)

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • 1/4" with MIDI accessory box (Strymon, Meris)

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • 5-pin MIDI DIN (HX One, DL4 MkII)

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • No MIDI at all; I want my pedals dead simple

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This is what I use. It's quite beautiful
Right. So... case in point....

These angled ones extend out just as far as a straight one does. So I literally don't see the point in using them.

1707570573582.jpeg

Here's a rockboard one without the clip, hanging out the back of my Meris LVX.

The Boss one looks like it would take up even more space to be honest.

I'm not sure I get the "directional" comments tbh. I've never had a problem with directionality and midi DIN cables.
The cables that are pre-bent can only have the cable exit in one direction because of the specific nature of 5-pin connectivity, and that direction always seems to have the cable blocking another important port.

Thankfully there appear to be more options than just those One Control, now, but imma still vote 1/4” and call anybody that wants 1/8” looney.

I don’t know that I should vote, I’ve used midi extensively for years but somehow it’s always been 5 pin. I do find them tricky to use on a pedalboard sometimes but I’ve always managed to find a cable and board layout that worked.

I would not be opposed to a better mousetrap…

D

I’m just trying to imagine how having a board full of adapters and jacks to go from 5-pin to anything else, while going from one MIDI device to the next, is more beneficial for size/efficiency than just planning out “Do I angle this left or right?”
Board full of adapters?! Nah, just one of these which take no real estate at all under the board or under another pedal:
1707576681964.jpeg

Right. So... case in point....

These angled ones extend out just as far as a straight one does. So I literally don't see the point in using them.

View attachment 18525

Here's a rockboard one without the clip, hanging out the back of my Meris LVX.

The Boss one looks like it would take up even more space to be honest.
Case in point for why MIDI cables are horrible, they can’t even make a good right angle jack for it! Thanks for joining the 1/4” club!

Board full of adapters?! Nah, just one of these which take no real estate at all under the board or under another pedal:
View attachment 18536

Case in point for why MIDI cables are horrible, they can’t even make a good right angle jack for it! Thanks for joining the 1/4” club!

That puts it into the “I need to plug some shit into it to make it do what I want” category. Adding an additional device where a single cable could do the same job isn’t a better solution, IMO, regardless of where it’s placed.

That puts it into the “I need to plug some shit into it to make it do what I want” category. Adding an additional device where a single cable could do the same job isn’t a better solution, IMO, regardless of where it’s placed.
If all you needed was a single cable, you didn’t need the additional device to begin with ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1/8" 100%

I have up to 6 devices in an 1/8" chain at times. It's really the only thing I wish the HX One had that it doesn't. Still need to order some adaptors to get it going into midi chain

Surprising number of people voting for 1/8"... I don't think y'all have tried to use it.

It's not any smaller cus the jack housing is still the same size. The only argument for it is that it allows pedal makers to make their pedals smaller. That's it. Otherwise it's a pain for pedalboard building.

SO ALL OF YOU 1/8" GUYS CHANGE TO 1/4" RIGHT NOW, WE CAN BEAT THE DIN GUYS

Hard disagree :hmm

There aren't enough desirable 1/8"-MIDI guitar pedals to have 6 of them in a chain, SYNTH GUY SPOTTED.

Sort of lol

Always in the chain: 2x RC500s (me and my bass players), RE-202
Often in the chain: Korg minilogue (probably will eventually have an RC-5 for that relatively soon)

and then a few other korg devices occasionally

Sort of lol

Always in the chain: 2x RC500s (me and my bass players), RE-202
Often in the chain: Korg minilogue (probably will eventually have an RC-5 for that relatively soon)

and then a few other korg devices occasionally
i knew it everybody loves raymond GIF by HULUi knew it

So what's your hard disagree, eh?
It's not any smaller cus the jack housing is still the same size. It's actually larger than low-profile 1/4" jacks.
1707753941849.png

QED

i knew it everybody loves raymond GIF by HULUi knew it

So what's your hard disagree, eh?
It's not any smaller cus the jack housing is still the same size. It's actually larger than low-profile 1/4" jacks.
View attachment 18613
QED

I see your point but its not smaller width wise :idk

I've never ran into issues with the 1/8th" connections. On the flipside, when I'm setting up my board at a show or practice and I'm not getting sound and I have to go through the chain and find out what is slightly unplugged its almost always one of the pedals that I'm using several ins and outs in (hx one, rc500 namely) and having even more 1/4" cables coming out of those boxes. 1/8" feels far less congested to me

But we can at least agree that even 1/4" would be preferable to 5pin ;)

Back