Feedback Request—MIDI on Pedals

How should pedals incorporate MIDI I/O?

• 1/8" (BOSS)

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • 1/4" with MIDI accessory box (Strymon, Meris)

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • 5-pin MIDI DIN (HX One, DL4 MkII)

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • No MIDI at all; I want my pedals dead simple

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Surprising number of people voting for 1/8"... I don't think y'all have tried to use it.

It's not any smaller cus the jack housing is still the same size. The only argument for it is that it allows pedal makers to make their pedals smaller. That's it. Otherwise it's a pain for pedalboard building.

SO ALL OF YOU 1/8" GUYS CHANGE TO 1/4" RIGHT NOW, WE CAN BEAT THE DIN GUYS

but I want it rotated 90degrees so when plugged into the midi ports; it isn't sideways.

I have two of those cables as well - similar issue, when I planned to use them. Would've been better if they would've went straight down (inside my pedalboard).

• 100%
Reactions: JT
I have two of those cables as well - similar issue, when I planned to use them. Would've been better if they would've went straight down (inside my pedalboard).
On a PT or something with space underneath; absolutely. I can see why someone with a flat board would have issue. Unless they were angled straight up vs. straight down for underneath routing on a board with slats. Always something to twitch over.

I agree a downside of the 1/8" plugs is DIY cables and options in that space. If a USB C type plug was listed (MIDI over USB only), I would have voted for that. Still need molded cables, but at least off the shelf consumer cables would work.

Surprising number of people voting for 1/8"... I don't think y'all have tried to use it.

It's not any smaller cus the jack housing is still the same size. The only argument for it is that it allows pedal makers to make their pedals smaller. That's it. Otherwise it's a pain for pedalboard building.

SO ALL OF YOU 1/8" GUYS CHANGE TO 1/4" RIGHT NOW, WE CAN BEAT THE DIN GUYS
The same plug size for all connections is an error source more, imho.

I'm all about MIDI... so voted DIN. 1/4" sux it is too much like a normal signal I/O. I connect things by touch sometimes (dark environment, etc) so that is the worst.

Rockboard makes a DIN cable that can be bent straight or 90deg either way so it works well on pedalboards where the jack can be oriented differently. I use those and they work reasonably well.

I have some right angle midi cables that allow you to rotate the pins to 8 positions.

Check:

Or here:

Also, these look interesting:

I'm not sure I get the "directional" comments tbh. I've never had a problem with directionality and midi DIN cables.

I’m just trying to imagine how having a board full of adapters and jacks to go from 5-pin to anything else, while going from one MIDI device to the next, is more beneficial for size/efficiency than just planning out “Do I angle this left or right?”

I’m just trying to imagine how having a board full of adapters and jacks to go from 5-pin to anything else, while going from one MIDI device to the next, is more beneficial for size/efficiency than just planning out “Do I angle this left or right?”

Well, let's all say "thank you" to the MIDI consortium, pretty much the slowest working mess of people, ever. Even the introduction of USB-C was more flawless than whatever these morons are coming up with. I mean, seriously, it was about time for MIDI 2.0 sort of like two decades ago already, and if they were worth anything, they would've established a new connection standard as well back then.
Instead we're dealing with adapters and I still find myself reading about MSBs and LSBs all the time as soon as I want to just leave the surface for a little while.

Not directional as in signal flow. Directonal as in "angled plug forces cable to turn left" (even if you your next MIDI target sits right).
I'm not so thick that I think midi cable signal flow is directional. :rofl

I guess the thing is here, I never use angled midi plugs.

Back