Favourite PAF Humbucker

Marshall's :D

Yeah I figured it out thankfully! :giggle:
IMG_4093 2.JPEG

Tom Holmes and Throbak have an edge for me . I have preferred them over others and original ones in many guitars. I like covers and no potting for the most 3D cleans. They don’t have any issues with mid gain either.
6F78D7A9-22C1-41E9-B8C4-98B6B61E224E.jpeg

I preferred this one over;
4D3C4EFD-2C0F-4F1D-A312-10CBC4AB820E.jpeg

I had a Dimarzio PAF from the 80s, I remember it was really good. I generally dislike HSS setups in Strats as the humbucker always overpowers the singles, but that pickup worked pretty well.

I have a 1988 YJM. HS-3 are not the pickups for John Mayer tones or Sultans of Swing, but once you feed them some gain, they rule! :)

Definitely! I actually really like them for a lot of things. They’re definitely not traditional Strat pickups, but I find them much more versatile than the super glassy scooped vintage Strat pickup thing that sounds so good for stuff like Sultans of Swing

Definitely! I actually really like them for a lot of things. They’re definitely not traditional Strat pickups, but I find them much more versatile than the super glassy scooped vintage Strat pickup thing that sounds so good for stuff like Sultans of Swing
Yeah I love them. As I don't really do much of that glassy clean thing they are my favourite "single" for rock. Also awesome with an FS-1 for the bridge pickup.

I love the Godwood by Jim Wagner.

It is the thickest most dynamic pickup that is a bit smooth and almost woody in a way.

It chugs and does very aggressive or even rock tones.

For years I had a DiMarzio PAF in the neck paired with a Super Distortion in the bridge of an Explorer and loved it. That PAF was one of the best neck pickups I ever had, so that definitely ranks up there for me for all-time favorite PAF pickups. Wish I still had it.
The Duncan Alnico II Pro has been a favorite PAF of mine for a while now. It's one that seems to be the most versatile for me, i.e. it works in almost every guitar I've tried it in. Whereas the SD Seth Lovers are another one that I very much like, but tends to be more particular depending on what guitar I'm putting them in and how they respond accordingly.
The SD Antiquities are my usual go-to for PAF pickups especially in LP or ES style guitars. There's something about the sweet top end of those that just really works for me especially when I'm looking for older rock or jazzier tones.

That reminds me of my first tries at getting Blackmore and Malmsteen tones from a strat, how the f**k can you get killer tone from these weak-ass singles? :D

I have been listening to a lot of Alcatrazz with Yngwie and it BLOWS ME AWAY! Not a hint of preamp distortion or compression.

And yet. My goodness! How do you do that? Is there a pedal or something I can buy that will get me there. :LOL:

I have been listening to a lot of Alcatrazz with Yngwie and it BLOWS ME AWAY! Not a hint of preamp distortion or compression.

And yet. My goodness! How do you do that? Is there a pedal or something I can buy that will get me there. :LOL:
No but --->

73hV.gif

:D

Lollar Imperials in an RG? Who does that??? :idk :wat
I like low gain articulate pickups even for gain. Also I have them and a ton of other pickups in the parts draw. The RG needs better pickups so why not give them a try?
Also this particular RG has one of the best unamplified tones on a bolt on strat style.

I haven’t tried enough different ones to really be able to say what I think is best - but I do know I LOVE the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs I put in my Les Paul Standard!

I like low gain articulate pickups even for gain. Also I have them and a ton of other pickups in the parts draw. The RG needs better pickups so why not give them a try?
Also this particular RG has one of the best unamplified tones on a bolt on strat style.

For all of your apparent love of traditional guitars and seeming to be pretty conservative with configurations
that pairing just seemed a little "off." :idk

Maybe it's just Andy getting in touch with his wild and crazy side. :beer

For all of your apparent love of traditional guitars and seeming to be pretty conservative with configurations
that pairing just seemed a little "off." :idk

Maybe it's just Andy getting in touch with his wild and crazy side. :beer
I like anything that works. They came out again and I haven't decided what to put in that guitar . I want it to do a little more tonally than an RG is usually expected to do. I have a Suhr Modern that I use for similar tones and I want this to cover the same ground. I actually have a pair of original PAFs but everyone would go nuts if I put them in.:rofl

Back