Favorite Crunch Tones

I think that ir is more important than the amp modeled.
Change my mind.
Cant change your mind. And i certainly wouldn’t want to.

But I disagree. Amp is first for me, then a cab that fits my taste and how i want that particular amp to be portrayed. So to me, the amp and its character and style is the most important. Then I want a cab that enhances (or not for that matter) its sounds in a way that I like.

Cant change your mind. And i certainly wouldn’t want to.

But I disagree. Amp is first for me, then a cab that fits my taste and how i want that particular amp to be portrayed. So to me, the amp and its character and style is the most important. Then I want a cab that enhances (or not for that matter) its sounds in a way that I like.

Everyone knows a Celestion Blue IR is the gateway drug to get you to Chug--Central.

Or if you want your AC30 to sound Hardcore just run it through a Mesa OS 4x12 IR.

:rofl

Change my mind.
Your mind is yours to make. That said, the reason that I am not focusing on IRs is due to the volatility with which IR discussions tend to go. In my experience every point in the signal chain is nearly equally important, but individual tastes may dictate that the IR I prefer will sound off to someone else. Hell, even my own preferences can sound off if I switch through enough of them in one sitting.

For example, my preferred IR for the plexi sounds I currently use were captured by Jay Mitchell, using his reflection free techniques. Lots of people can't stand those, and that is cool with me, and there is little need to re-litigate any of those discussions here.

Truth be told, I don't care about what IR any one prefers. My intention with this post is to break out of my standard amp choices, living vicariously through your model choices. There are plenty in this thread already that I would never have even thought to try, without muddying the waters with IR choices.

But now you have my curiosity piqued, which IR do you prefer for crunchy goodness?

Let me get back to you on that lol. I just got a Helix last week, but I've been outta town this whole week without it.:cry:
Not much time to really dive in although I like what I'm hearing. And most of that time spent was updating software, etc.

Your mind is yours to make. That said, the reason that I am not focusing on IRs is due to the volatility with which IR discussions tend to go. In my experience every point in the signal chain is nearly equally important, but individual tastes may dictate that the IR I prefer will sound off to someone else. Hell, even my own preferences can sound off if I switch through enough of them in one sitting.

For example, my preferred IR for the plexi sounds I currently use were captured by Jay Mitchell, using his reflection free techniques. Lots of people can't stand those, and that is cool with me, and there is little need to re-litigate any of those discussions here.

Truth be told, I don't care about what IR any one prefers. My intention with this post is to break out of my standard amp choices, living vicariously through your model choices. There are plenty in this thread already that I would never have even thought to try, without muddying the waters with IR choices.

But now you have my curiosity piqued, which IR do you prefer for crunchy goodness?
I have favorites legacy 60-61 in fractal world.

But my point was that in the modeling world you can’t just tweak your tone with the amp.
Changing an ir can just make the tone sound totally different.

Change my mind.
It's the same as using real amps.

Amps A and B into cab X are going to have more similarities than A and B into cabs X and Y that pair well with each amp.

As an example I wasn't happy with the Vox AC30ish Victory VC35 head I had until I paired it with Alnico Golds. That's what brought in all that Vox chimy goodness that type of amp is known for. Into my 4x10 with Greenbacks it had a more Marshallish character when driven, which is not what I wanted since I had a Bogner for that.

It's part of why I have given up on using modelers into real cabs because I can't change the cab without expensive switching hardware and a pile of cabs. Sure, the models will still sound good but a big part of how a particular amp sounds is the pairing with the speaker.

People jest about using a Vox AC30 model for high gain, but honestly if you pair that with a 4x12 Mesa IR and push it with an overdrive, it can sound pretty righteous. It's not going to be the same thing as a Dual Rectifier into that same IR but it's going to be its own thing.

Back