Fat Jimmy Amplifiers

Fat Jimmy

Vendor
Greetings!! I have decided to start a thread where discerning musicians can discuss Fat Jimmy Amplifiers!
Please feel free to ask me questions, share experiences, talk about your Fat Jimmy Amplifier, etc etc.
Cheers!

I'm unfamiliar. What can you tell me about them?
Now that's a loaded question lol... to get general idea... head over to www.FatJimmyAmps.com and take a look around. Be sure to check out the artist page to see some of the folks who use FJs...
But in a nutshell, if I had to generalize, component quality is absolutely vital to the sound and voice of an amplifier. All FJs have a selection of NOS components in key locations that contribute significantly to the sound. There's a sense of depth and space you can only get from certain parts... you simply cannot get there using all modern production components. Give the same schematic to 20 different builders, you get 20 very different sounding amps. EVERYTHING makes a difference, from the obvious things like type of signal caps used to the much less obvious... but it ALL adds up. In many cases, sure you're splitting hairs... but when you take EVERYTHING into consideration it all adds up (to full head of hair one might say)... with the goal being to deliver the best sounding amplifier I can possibly build.

Now that's a loaded question lol... to get general idea... head over to www.FatJimmyAmps.com and take a look around. Be sure to check out the artist page to see some of the folks who use FJs...
But in a nutshell, if I had to generalize, component quality is absolutely vital to the sound and voice of an amplifier. All FJs have a selection of NOS components in key locations that contribute significantly to the sound. There's a sense of depth and space you can only get from certain parts... you simply cannot get there using all modern production components. Give the same schematic to 20 different builders, you get 20 very different sounding amps. EVERYTHING makes a difference, from the obvious things like type of signal caps used to the much less obvious... but it ALL adds up. In many cases, sure you're splitting hairs... but when you take EVERYTHING into consideration it all adds up (to full head of hair one might say)... with the goal being to deliver the best sounding amplifier I can possibly build.

Damn! Weir, Haynes, Kimock, Lesh, Schools, Casal (RIP)... be still my hippy heart!

Lookin for clips now

Damn! Weir, Haynes, Kimock, Lesh, Schools, Casal (RIP)... be still my hippy heart!

Lookin for clips now
Johnny Hiland did a ton of clips a while back (I definitely need to link those on the website lol...)
We also have a bunch of video of Kimock 'interviewing' several models... it's been like pulling teeth to get that from the video editor!!! But should be coming soon!! John Fogerty also did a bunch of videos during covid using his Jimmy Jr...

@Fat Jimmy Is the "Jimmy knob" always a negative feedback control on your different amplifier models, or does its behaviour vary by model?

I ask, because it's not mentioned on every model page on your website; and it's not mentioned in the FAQ.

BTW, I've always loved the notion of having an amp with a mysterious knob labelled "Jimmy" on the front panel. The idea tickles me. I especially love the thought of shouting "IT NEEDS MORE JIMMY!" when playing at volume with others.

Last edited:
@Fat Jimmy Is the "Jimmy knob" always a negative feedback control on your different amplifier models, or does its behaviour vary by model?

I ask, because it's not mentioned on every model page on your website; and it's not mentioned in the FAQ.

BTW, I've always loved the notion of having an amp with a mysterious knob labelled "Jimmy" on the front panel. The idea tickles me. I especially love the thought of shouting "IT NEEDS MORE JIMMY!" when playing at volume with others.
Yes sir, the Jimmy knob is always NFB. There are some models that do not have it, ie the 'Vintage Series' which are typically the 'replica builds' of specific classic circuits like the 5E3 (tweed Deluxe), 5F6-A (tweed Bassman) etc.

And yes... it actually does happen... people DO yell "MORE JIMMY"!!!

We have also been calling everybody 'Jimmy' around here (in an attempt to replace 'dude'). It's been working quite well lol. .

Back