Ever played one of those crappy outdoor fairground gigs?

Achilles

Rock Star
You're not alone.

453647932_122156141948095242_9159265134151039525_n.jpg

played one once. we sound checked, sounded fine. we left for a while. got back and was told to start playing and there was no power on my side of the stage. i asked the sound guy what was wrong and he gave me the dumbest blank stare. the other guy running the show was like guys you need to start playing even as i was telling him the power was now out. i basically had to move my amp to the other side of the stage while that one asshole was telling me to hurry up every 20-30 seconds. got me in a real bad mood, the show was not fun even though there were probably like 400-500 people there which is a lot for any of my bands.

The last one I can remember we played on the main stage in the middle of a high school football field. The gig actually went pretty good until we were done and getting screamed at to get our gear off the stage NOW - and NO, we could not drive our van onto the field like we did during setup.
And the field was circled by a track - and NO, we couldn't drive over that again either.

3 man band + 2 roadies having to lug every piece of gear about 75 yards to the parking lot.
Through the crowd.

Regarding this:

20230321_c16fb1.jpg

I had this DVD at one point and it was terrible. :facepalm

The video was all close-ups that were used for the back screens during the show
and the music was soundboard mixed with a tape from the crowd.

1. Audio was horrendous - imagine one track dry as a bone from the mic against the grill cloth and the other from the gargantuan bass trap inside the dome that night.

2. Video was horrendous - camera operators were stoned, the band was stoned and mostly trying to project to the crowd rather than pose for the stoned guys roaming around the stage and in the pit.

Golden opportunity missed.....

Wow. Had never seen this picture before and I'm one of the biggest Zep freaks on the planet.

Ever played a radio station promotional gig?

454814438_484075444373216_8217818176082375023_n.jpg

Back