Enjoy laughing at young Drew

I'd be lying if I said all this late era Floyd exposure isn't giving me strat GAS :oops:

I’m watching the Gdansk show where he’s using his Black Strat, while I strongly prefer the CAR Strat’s tones, I do have a black Strat that used to be a CAR Strat, a Duncan SSL-5 and a couple Fender CS pickups already mounted in a pickguard. I just need to get the neck re-fretted because I butchered it when I did it. :ROFLMAO: That was my first good guitar, it’d be nice to get it up and playing again.

More Strats is always good Strats.

• Mind Blown
Reactions: JTI
He actually didn’t start playing saxophone until after Floyd’s last tour, he hadn’t been playing it very long by the time he did On An Island. It was a topic in most of the interviews around that album’s release, he said he wanted to see if his melodic sense would carry over. Fair to say that yes, it does!

That’s another thing I need to add to my collection, a lap steel. ”One Of These Days” is pretty f*cking metal in my book, but I want to write something that’s really heavy on a lap steel.

Really? Wow. I guess I just assumed he picked it up in school.

Really? Wow. I guess I just assumed he picked it up in school.

Sounds like he’s been playing it as long! I was just watching some behind the scenes footage from the Gdańsk show and Graham Nash was talking about his sax playing, pretty much saying the same thing about him, I learned one note on a sax in the 4th grade, kinda wish I would have stuck with it because I love the sound of the sax, but then I’d have to learn all those notes and sh*t. :ROFLMAO:

My buddy (the drummer in the vid) has been slowly getting all our old 8MM videos onto his computer. I’m 17 or so here and…..it’s not pretty. In fact, this is my evidence for talent = time + dedication. This wasn’t me just f*cking up the “Creeping Death“ solo, this was how I played a lot back then. There were some solos I learned mostly note for note, but if I didn’t practice them and forgot I’d just go off and “do my own thing”….including my own key/tempo that shifted at random. This was around the Vai fanboy days, which translated to me just playing fast and acting like a dumbass.

Exhibit A:

Year- 1999, subject is using an Ibanez JEM into a Carvin Legacy head that appears to be powering a Peavey Bandit. I don’t remember doing this, but apparently I did this before I had the 4x12. That f*cker is plenty loud. :ROFLMAO:

Exhibit B:

Same night in ‘99, except it’s Steve Vai’s “Here I Am” I’m butchering, because after seeing him open with it I thought this would be a really energetic song to open our sets with. :rolleyes: I really should have uploaded the whole song but I could only find this whole clip, my vocals really highlight the tone deaf thing. I don’t think I’m ever in key the whole time.

It was kind of funny, because if I sat down and really worked on learning something back then, I could get it. The stuff I did practice and actually learn I could play and sound capable/above average for my age, but I could never retain any of the scale/modal information to be able to implement it when I forgot how to play the real stuff. IE- Dream Theater’s “Pull Me Under” was our signature song, I’d play that probably 90% accurately, but then go into something like “Creeping Death” and just f*cking bomb all over the place. Our choir teacher said it best with “I don’t get it, Andy. One minute you’re playing some that sounds like Steve Vai and the next it sounds like you just picked up a guitar for the first time. You should work on that.” :rofl

We may be a bit alike in that it just doesn’t come as natural as maybe it does for others. I’ve been in the same boat with playing some stuff people would find mind blowing and then clam all over the place 2 seconds later sounding like a cat swung around by its tail.

We may be a bit alike in that it just doesn’t come as natural as maybe it does for others. I’ve been in the same boat with playing some stuff people would find mind blowing and then clam all over the place 2 seconds later sounding like a cat swung around by its tail.

It can just be challenging at times when people say “I wish I had that kind of talent” and kind of pass it off as something that was just given to me. That’s absolutely not how I got to where I am. I figured posting some clips of me in the younger years would be a pretty good example of that.

I mean, the stuff I put out people hear, they don’t hear the 60 takes it took to nail 5 seconds of music, they just hear the finished product. So I can totally understand the viewpoint and I don’t think anyone is intentionally trying to discredit the efforts put in, I just think some people may rely on the idea people are born with talent as a crutch or scapegoat. None of this stuff was natural to me, I was just obsessed with it, to the point I put a lot of other aspects of life on the back burner to make room for music, sometimes to a detriment. And a clearer, more direct reason is that for all the things I felt I was lacking in as being a human, I’ve tried to make up for as a musician. In a lot of cases, one of those things fed the other.

It can just be challenging at times when people say “I wish I had that kind of talent” and kind of pass it off as something that was just given to me. That’s absolutely not how I got to where I am. I figured posting some clips of me in the younger years would be a pretty good example of that.

I mean, the stuff I put out people hear, they don’t hear the 60 takes it took to nail 5 seconds of music, they just hear the finished product. So I can totally understand the viewpoint and I don’t think anyone is intentionally trying to discredit the efforts put in, I just think some people may rely on the idea people are born with talent as a crutch or scapegoat. None of this stuff was natural to me, I was just obsessed with it, to the point I put a lot of other aspects of life on the back burner to make room for music, sometimes to a detriment. And a clearer, more direct reason is that for all the things I felt I was lacking in as being a human, I’ve tried to make up for as a musician. In a lot of cases, one of those things fed the other.
Same. I'm humble to a fault when it comes to my playing because I know damn well what's out there and I'm not that.

Back