Electric guitar acoustic sound changes

SillyOctpuss

Shredder
Some folks will disagree with me on this but I only buy electric guitars that also sound good unplugged and don't sound dead or muted.

I have a couple of friends who say it doesn't matter and that only the amplified tones matters. Because I play mine acoustically round the house as well as plugged in I prefer instruments that ring really well and are pleasing to play unplugged as well as plugged in.

Four years ago I had a pretty high end tele partscaster put together by the chaps at Feline Guitars in London. It was the third time I'd done this and annoyingly the first time I'd felt a bit disappointed with the result. The guitar looked great, played fantastically, the tuning stability was rock solid and plugged in sounded awesome, however, unplugged was really disappointing. It sounded really thin and plinky.

I kept the guitar because it did sound fantastic plugged in and played great but was always disappointed with the acoustic performance so only ever played it plugged in.

Fast forward to four years later and it sounds fantastic unplugged now. It genuinely sounds like a different guitar, the sound is so much deeper and more resonant. I've heard my acoustic guitars tone change from new but I've never observed this in an electric before.

Have any of you lot had an electric whose sound has drastically changed over time without changing out any parts other than strings?

Back