Don't make me ask this elsewhere. AKA people are this bad at seeking information. AKA Helix MIDI question

JiveTurkey

Goatlord
TGF Recording Artist
PM'd a few fine chaps on this. Perhaps someone else with the devices in question can answer.

I know the HX whatever can act as a midi controller and mirror the buttons of a downstream HX device via MIDI (CC 49, 50, 51, etc.). I ALSO believe that CC1 will mirror the downstream HX exp pedal.

Here's what I want to do:
Control a Stomp remotely via midi. Using another Stomp :sofa:rofl.

On the main Stomp/HX device hosting the preset, assign bypass state of an effect block to the expression pedal. On the Stomp (with an exp pedal connected to it) acting as a midi controller; see if assigning CC1 to that expression pedal will mirror the effect bypass state on the main Stomp.

ALTERNATELY; ASSIGN BYPASS STATE ON MAIN HELIX/STOMP TO FS2 AND SEE IF YOU CAN ASSIGN THAT CC VALUE TO THE MIDI CONTROLLER EXP.

Comedy Young Sheldon GIF by CBS

Last edited:
Before I throw out a suggestion, can you explain exactly what you’re trying to do? Forget the midi assignments, just a basic description: HX1 sits on top of my amp, I want to use HX2 on the floor with an exp pedal to control X effect and I want the behavior between the two units to be Y. Are you staying within a preset and snapshot or changing either/both? If you’re changing either of those what are you wanting to happen with regard to said effect across the changes?

D

Before I throw out a suggestion, can you explain exactly what you’re trying to do? Forget the midi assignments, just a basic description: HX1 sits on top of my amp, I want to use HX2 on the floor with an exp pedal to control X effect and I want the behavior between the two units to be Y. Are you staying within a preset and snapshot or changing either/both? If you’re changing either of those what are you wanting to happen with regard to said effect across the changes?

D
HX Stomp with the preset has a return block. It is currently set to engage via the connected expression pedal. Single preset and snapshot the entire night.

I want the downstream midi controller's expression pedal to do THE EXACT SAME THING. Engage the return block when I step on it.

HX Stomp with the preset has a return block. It is currently set to engage via the connected expression pedal. Single preset and snapshot the entire night.

I want the downstream midi controller's expression pedal to do THE EXACT SAME THING. Engage the return block when I step on it.
Oh gotcha… I misunderstood

Exp 1 is “emulated” by midi CC1, so just set your controllers exp pedal to CC1 and it should do the same thing as the stomps connected exp pedal. I can’t understand why you would have two exp pedals do exactly the same thing, but I’m sure you have your reasons…

D

Oh gotcha… I misunderstood

Exp 1 is “emulated” by midi CC1, so just set your controllers exp pedal to CC1 and it should do the same thing as the stomps connected exp pedal. I can’t understand why you would have two exp pedals do exactly the same thing, but I’m sure you have your reasons…

D
@Digital Igloo kindly confirmed this. I don't need the exp on the main stomp actually. You are right and there probably is a better way (aka assign bypass state to a CC value and just send that directly from the controller). I like to focus on one thing at a time in these situations and it was just easier to say to myself that I should be able to do it the way I originally described. Thanks for the info, both of you :beer

Step 1: Buy a Helix LT
I actually ended up picking up a Disaster Area 3 button switch. The dilemma was still going to be taking up board real estate and requiring the chain of 4 adapters to power it. Helix Rack seemed like a more FUN proposition but then the board would be a behemoth of the controller then whatever pedals and kind of negate what is so awesome about the HX rack (aka single cord up front with HX Control). A bunch of features and functionality would be left on the table too. We'll see how it goes.

Back