Do I dare ask what "Shoegaze" is?

Interesting, I've remained ignorant about the genre for so long, because simply the moniker turned me off, BUT, I like SOME of the samples provided here.

I can appreciate the atmospheric nature, and can hear the OG/old school brit pop aspect of it as well, which, I don't hate.

Guys. It’s off track.

And it’s weird as a lot of bands qualify regarding this.

Including Khemmis:

This is a 9 min song a lot of people would qualify as doom metal but it makes the grade.

You can find seriously great shoegaze tracks if you look. Pelican qualifies.

I'm stoked that Khemmis has gotten some success and national recognition

I got on a shoegaze kick a few years ago, mainly just trying to understand the genre. I thought I would like it given my penchant for heavy atmospheric effects usage. Turns out I like that in small doses here and there in the music more than all the time. And I also like riffs…

That said, I think it’s a cool genre and I get the appeal. I listened to an awful lot of stuff back then, but MBV always struck me as the best example of the genre defining stuff. That was one of the few that I could listen to for a while.

D

Right?! Super stoked for them, seen em live a few times and they kick all ass.

They’re Denver locals, I got turned onto them way back in the day in the doom room on the HCFX forum cuz their guitarist posted a lot in there Caught them live a few time way back then kind of dropped off then I started seeing the name a lot on metal blogs and national tours over the last couple years . Proud of them !!

They’re Denver locals, I got turned onto them way back in the day in the doom room on the HCFX forum cuz their guitarist posted a lot in there Caught them live a few time way back then kind of dropped off then I started seeing the name a lot on metal blogs and national tours over the last couple years . Proud of them !!

Got a few interactions with them outside of the band; one of the guitar players posts semi regularly on SSO; bought a few things from him, sold him a few things and we’ve traded IRs lol

Super good guy.

Though I think I was just a touch too young to catch shoegaze in its infancy, I picked up influences that were very obviously influenced by some shoegaze (Hum, Explosions in the Sky) and agree with @Whizzinby that in its modern form, shoegaze is more a vibe.

My current band uses dual guitars occasionally caked in delay, space echos, and shimmer verbs to create washes of color that overlap and create something like a trance effect. When it’s live and loud, it can be intoxicating, and when both guitars dump the fx and move into something tight and syncopated it can be a really effective tool to pull people into what you are doing.

It’s almost more a technique than a genre for me and the other people I write with.

Back