Do I dare ask what "Shoegaze" is?

Friends don't let friends Shoegaze.

warning time travel GIF by RJFilmSchool

Nobody knew where it would start. And nobody knew when it would start. But start it would. War was coming.

Would it be 6 vs 7 strings? Or Short scale vs Long?

Perhaps someone just didn't rate Eddie Van Halen as a player.

Looking back... to that year when everything changed; it's so obvious now. But we were all so powerless to stop it.

It was Shoegaze. That's what started it all.

The great TGF schism had begun.

Last edited:
Tonally it’s just music that’s washed out with tons of delay and verb. Traditionally the vocals are less prominent and more atmospheric. It encompasses a pretty wide collection of bands as it’s more a vibe than anything.

My Bloody Valentine are considered the goats of the genre.

I like a lot of newer heavy bands that were influenced by the genre, like Holy Fawn.

I’ve always considered Shoegaze to be my favorite genre, but I’m also aware that the shoegaze gatekeepers (almost as bad as metal gatekeepers) would consider a number of my favorite shoegaze bands a stretch. Starflyer 59, Spotlights, Hum,

I’ve always considered Shoegaze to be my favorite genre, but I’m also aware that the shoegaze gatekeepers (almost as bad as metal gatekeepers) would consider a number of my favorite shoegaze bands a stretch. Starflyer 59, Spotlights, Hum,

Hum is one of my favorite bands of all time, and they definitely incorporate a lot of what I consider shoegaze, but they don’t necessarily live in it exclusively. Which honestly I don’t think there are all that many bands (certainly that pierced into the larger public consciousness) that are purely shoegaze. Shoegaze is more of a tonal influence than genre imo.

I just listened to Hum. They totally sound like an old 90s alt rock band.

And then I checked the dates of the releases. Those records were released in 95 and 98. LOL!!

Last edited:
Guys. It’s off track.

And it’s weird as a lot of bands qualify regarding this.

Including Khemmis:

This is a 9 min song a lot of people would qualify as doom metal but it makes the grade.

You can find seriously great shoegaze tracks if you look. Pelican qualifies.

Back