Digital Igloo (Eric Klein, YGG)

Hi @Digital Igloo . Thanks for being open to answer some questions. I'm a Helix LT user from 2020 (purchased 2 days before lockdown lol) and I love how this device has made my life so much easier, as I heavily use fx on my songs.

Three questions:
1- I was so glad with the "along came poly" update, so I could get rid of my EHX Pitch Fork. Now, I'm a King Crimson 80's era fan (I had a Roland GR55 for a while, but it wasn't very comfortable and I sold it), so I wonder if there are plans to use this new technology with synth blocks.

2- Continuing with poly stuff: should I loose all hope for a poly tuner in the Helix (the only pedal I still keep along with my Helix LT)? I'm aware of the legal issues with Music Tribe, but I wonder if Line6 will ever consider to do as Boss and add it (maybe getting to some license agreement).

3- The new snapshot mode introduced in last update was very helpful, and it came right after thinking of something similar that I posted in IdeaScale: a snapshot sequence mode (https://line6.ideascale.com/c/idea/1035758/comments/1037300). Do you think this would ever be possible? I think it would make Helix more flexible than ever :)
Nr2 would also be you contemplating if you’d like the “poly” tuner option to maybe (I don’t know) lock up some of the dsp… (I don’t really know if that would be the case).
I guess they’d have to make that a global settings choice for everyone to make.

Nr2 would also be you contemplating if you’d like the “poly” tuner option to maybe (I don’t know) lock up some of the dsp… (I don’t really know if that would be the case).
I guess they’d have to make that a global settings choice for everyone to make.
I might be wrong, but if the poly tuner mode always muted the guitar or disable the patch blocks, it wouldn't be necessary to lock some DSP, just take whatever needed when you're using it.

I would be happy with that, as I always have my guitar muted when tuning.

Last edited:

Apparently, the path to success for any MI company is to lift Helix's GUI layout, design language, use of color, signal flow, DSP allocation, snapshot implementation, and footswitch modes... and add a touchscreen. Because, y'know, even though there are hundreds of other elegant methods to accomplish all that stuff, it's gotta be so close to Helix that it makes some people think we licensed our UI out. Hell, we came up with at least a dozen other radically different layouts/design languages for Helix, all of which are an order of magnitude father away from where we landed than what others have "designed" and feigned credit for.

<ahem>

Poster or it didn’t happen…

:sofa

In many cases, the touchscreen is far too relied upon—so much tap-tap-open-tap-tap-close-swipe-swipe-tap-tapping that slows you down in the heat of a gig. Muscle memory and tactile feedback are extremely important for all but the most casual users. I was looking at snagging a Slate Raven controller, but everyone I spoke with ditched it after 6 months—not because it wasn't implemented well, but because mixing on a big TV screen beneath your fingers kinda sucks for any serious, repetitive work.

Of course I have to qualify my statement by reiterating that I have nothing against touchscreens. Touchscreens should simply augment your music making, not insist on being 95% of your workflow's engagement.

Well, no company'll be successful in 2022 with DX7 interfaces, that's for sure. Even if every multieffect was indistinguishable from the real amps and pedals, if all we had left to differentiate ourselves from one another were UI and form factors... excuse me, I need to go update my CV.

Apparently, the path to success for any MI company is to lift Helix's GUI layout, design language, use of color, signal flow, DSP allocation, snapshot implementation, and footswitch modes... and add a touchscreen. Because, y'know, even though there are hundreds of other elegant methods to accomplish all that stuff, it's gotta be so close to Helix that it makes some people think we licensed our UI out. Hell, we came up with at least a dozen other radically different layouts/design languages for Helix, all of which are an order of magnitude father away from where we landed than what others have "designed" and feigned credit for.

<ahem>

But I will say this: The same ol' Helix with a touchscreen—maybe a bit faster with some minor improvements—would be terribly disappointing. What sort of problems would that solve for musicians? You might get a few extra blocks, and moving blocks on the signal flow would be a bit faster, and naming stuff would be easier. But would you call your friends and say "Holy $#&@, did you see the new Line 6 box?" I sure wouldn't.

We're more interested in solving problems that musicians may not even know they have.

I love this post and how you pretty much bury those people/users who know better. ;)

Not even close! L6 does it and doesn't patent it.
12-1/2 months after Helix hit stores, Marcus Ryle came into my office and mentioned "Y'know Eric, had we thought of it, we probably could've gotten a patent for [X] and maybe [Y]. But we would've had to have submitted everything a few weeks ago."

:confused:

For better or worse (probably better), you can't really patent or copyright GUI. You can, however, patent specific, unique UX engagements (like how lists on iOS bounce when you reach the top and bottom), and trade dress litigation is meant to mitigate public confusion between brands' aesthetics (read: Roland/BOSS vs. You Know Who).
Hi @Digital Igloo . Thanks for being open to answer some questions. I'm a Helix LT user from 2020 (purchased 2 days before lockdown lol) and I love how this device has made my life so much easier, as I heavily use fx on my songs.

Three questions:
1- I was so happy with the "along came poly" update, so I could get rid of my EHX Pitch Fork. Now, I'm a King Crimson 80's era fan (I had a Roland GR55 for a while, but it wasn't very comfortable and I sold it), so I wonder if there are plans to use the poly technology with synth blocks.

2- Continuing with poly stuff: should I loose all hope for a poly tuner in the Helix (the only pedal I still keep along with my Helix LT)? I'm aware of the legal issues with Music Tribe, but I wonder if Line6 will ever consider to do as Boss and add it (maybe getting to some license agreement).

3- The new snapshot mode introduced in last update was very helpful, and it came right after thinking of something similar that I posted in IdeaScale: a "snapshot sequence" mode with "infinite" snapshots (perhaps not infinite, but at least more than 8) -> https://line6.ideascale.com/c/idea/1035758/comments/1037300. Do you think this would ever be possible? I think it would make Helix more flexible than ever :)

I'm attaching the "snapshot sequence" concept mockup here, just in case it is deleted on imgur someday.
View attachment 588
  1. Specific types of polyphonic pitch algorithms can sometimes represent much of the heavy lifting to eventually develop robust synth algorithms.
  2. Not sure if BOSS found a way around it or not. We may need to look at the patent a little closer, but no, I don't think we have any interest in licensing IP from MusicTribe.
  3. Snapshot data is still stored within a preset, so 8 snapshots x up to 64 controller/snapshot assignments = 512 values that need to be recalled for every preset. The data is small, but every bit not only impacts memory and storage, but increases preset load time as well. HOWEVER, if a product designer were to dig in and attempt to understand the friction behind the feature request, he or she may have already come up with a notably different solution. When we first introduced Snapshots, it kinda squashed 20 or more seemingly disparate IdeaScale submissions, but we didn't mark them as "Done" because we may not have solved the problem in the exact manner as requested.
*laughs in Boss*
I joined Product Support at Roland US (BOSS) in 2005; we needed to be intimately familiar with hundreds of products spanning decades. Believe it or not, I actually like a lot of their UI/UX—their MV-8000/8800 sampling workstations had some of the fastest and cleanest workflow I'd encountered at the time. Also a huge fan of their Fantom keyboards. Interestingly enough (or not), I supported Roland synths and groove products, not guitar gear.

Is there any way possible, that a Helix Floor can be able to be modified to work with a mission exp pedal with a toe switch to engage the wah?

Believe it or not, that, and isolating the amp switch jack are the only two things I would change about the Floor, even in 2022.

Oh, and maybe shaving about 10 lbs off the thing :rofl

Digital Igloo (Eric Klein)
  • Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
  • Obsessed with music gear and music gear design
  • Chronic overuser of bullets, ellipses... (and parentheticals)
  • Overseer of the two most spoiled muttbags on the West Coast, Bill&Ted (left) and Paddles
Ask Me Anything.

Except that.

And that. Sicko!

View attachment 312

Hey D.I !

First and most importantly .... gorgeous doggies :)

Secondly ... and this *isn't* a "when is 3.2 dropping question" :) ...... I was wondering if you could shed some light on the "latency question"

You've probably seen Leo Gibson's Y/Tube Latency comparison and it got me wondering:-

=> is overall modeler latency purely a factor of the hardware and AD/DA converters used (?) -or- can the Amp and EFX algorithms be written in such a way as to either increase or decrease the overall latency of the Amps and EFX in a modeler (?)

I'm far from a techie so am quite curious.

All the best,
Ben

Last edited:
Poster or it didn’t happen…

:sofa
pBZ9Xtl.jpg

Not sure if BOSS found a way around it or not. We may need to look at the patent a little closer, but no, I don't think we have any interest in licensing IP from MusicTribe.
There's also the Korg Pitchblack Poly pedal. Hopefully there's actually a way to avoid licensing :)

NDSP must be geniuses or something, creating such an amazing GUI and Routing Chain for the QC in such a short time, it deserves all the praise from happy customers, and the upcoming Hybrid Mode, just wow.
Nothing short of THE most elegant and innovative solutions, putting Uli to shame.

NDSP must be geniuses or something, creating such an amazing GUI and Routing Chain for the QC in such a short time, it deserves all the praise from happy customers, and the upcoming Hybrid Mode, just wow.
Nothing short of THE most elegant and innovative solutions, putting Uli to shame.
they won't be able to design an "original" hybrid mode in any amount of time

Back