Device with BEST headphone out? Smaller sized.

Achilles

Rock Star
Might have to start relying on headphones as a B option, which I've never had to do before. I've owned so many of these damn units but basically NEVER used headphones with any of them. Which one do you buy if you're only using it with cans?
Stomp? It's portable enough and I already know I can get great tones out of it ??????

Might have to start relying on headphones as a B option, which I've never had to do before. I've owned so many of these damn units but basically NEVER used headphones with any of them. Which one do you buy if you're only using it with cans?
Stomp? It's portable enough and I already know I can get great tones out of it ??????

I think they're all going to be about equal in that regard. The trick to getting the most out of headphone playing is the use of stereo effects and slightly wetter delays and reverbs in order to create a sense of space.

I think the headphones you use are more important than the particular device. All of the leading modelers have good headphone outputs.

For me, I really like the Sennheiser HD600 for guitar monitoring. They are open-backed so they bleed sound more than a closed-back set, but IMO the open-back makes them a lot less fatiguing for long playing sessions. Also, the HD6XX on drop.com are essentially the same thing, also made by Sennheiser, and cost a bit less.

If you need in-ears instead of headphones, we have a thread here with some really great-sounding options that are dirt cheap too.

For whatever reason, the Kemper is the only device I’ve played through headphones that didn’t immediately make me want to throw away my guitar.

For whatever reason, the Kemper is the only device I’ve played through headphones that didn’t immediately make me want to throw away my guitar.
Do you put a stereo reverb at the end of your chain with other devices? That's absolutely essential.

Yes. Playing through headphones sucks. If I was stuck playing 50% or more of my time through headphones...honestly, I'd just put the guitar down.

Same here, but I've messed up my hearing via a sinus infection and I'm getting worried I'm not getting all of it back. As of the last 2 weeks I could have really used headphones for some very early morning stuff. Normally the unplugged guitar is fine by itself but not right now. I can't even tell if I'm in tune unless I'm wired into something.

18? That sounds low. What kind are they?
They're spec'd at 16 actually.

Mentioned previously that my wife works here so I got a killer deal. No freaking way I'd have paid this much for headphones!

Been stumbling over some good timing the second half of 2023. The Ironball 20 I had on Verb just sold which gives me $1K or under to work with. Stomp still leading the pack I think.

For me, I really like the Sennheiser HD600 for guitar monitoring. They are open-backed so they bleed sound more than a closed-back set, but IMO the open-back makes them a lot less fatiguing for long playing sessions. Also, the HD6XX on drop.com are essentially the same thing, also made by Sennheiser, and cost a bit less.

The HD6XX is based upon the HD650, not the HD600.

In my experience the Fractal FM3 has by far the best headphone output of the "compact" units, capable of driving pretty much anything well.

But nothing stops you from picking your preferred unit and simply getting an external headphone amp fi the built-in function does not work well enough. On most it's good enough and you might only run into issues with very high impedance headphones.

Fractal also offers a couple of advantages over the competition for headphone playing specifically:
  • It has really good room reverb which adds that space you are missing in the headphones.
  • The enhancer block can give you a wider stereo field which might be pleasant with headphones.
  • The "gain enhancer" output type in the Amp block can simulate the acoustic reinforcement of a loud amp coupling into the guitar and enhancing the output signal (from the Wiki). Adding just a little bit of this can make the guitar feel a bit more alive compared to not using it, since you lose this interaction when using headphones.

Last edited:
Nah, keep the sound as dry as possible, get that "guitar beamed directly into my brain" feeling that emphasizes every single tiny mistake you make and crushes your soul.
This is the way.
The only true way to practice guitar is putting your ears right against the speaker so it sounds exactly like the recorded tone!

What do you mean with that "you're going deaf" talk, doctor?

Back