Decisions, decisions..

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
Revisiting an old friend and getting goosebumps again. The US Double Norm in Helix bumped with the tubescreamer has got to be the best low/mid gain tone and feel I can find in there. Just the stock cab too. My conundrum is I am the only guitar player in the bands I am in currently and the main cover band does mostly danceable rock covers. I had switched over to using mostly high gain amp models which seemed to fatten the sound up some but been craving this whole edge of breakup into mid gain thing high gain for solos. It seemed though like I couldn't get that type of amp model to sound big like I have with the high gain amp models. I figure I am doing something wrong. I want to use a consistent tone all night not jumping from say the Double Norm to the Revv Gen red etc etc..

What could I be doing wrong to where my lower gain sounds are great through my JBL 305 studio monitors but then when I switch over to my hybrid rig it just sounds small? I mean I know adjustments have to be made when going from 5" speakers and all that so I do dial after I hook up to my rig but I have tried eq settings and different reverbs, different cuts, cabs and mics and I just can't seem to get there as far as sounding bigger.

Any advice from those that use Helix for this type of lower gain playing in a one guitar band set up? What I am shooting for is what comes out of my 305's at about 15 more db.

Last edited:
If EQ isn't doing the trick and the highs are sticking out too much making it sound thin, try adding some light compression at the end of the preset.

The US Double Norm in Helix bumped with the tubescreamer has got to be the best low/mid gain tone and feel I can find in there. Just the stock cab too.

have to agree, probably why it’s in the first factory preset (if I recall right)

there are a few like that…
who watt, stock
Matchless, stock
Ac fawn, stock
Dr z, stock

My favorite
Ventoux, stock…

There are many.

As to the problem, i agree with Alex. Dial this in on the intended rig. Scroll through the amp models in their stock setup, try to not look… listen.

It’s very likely that you’ll end up with something like the deluxe. As for the mid gain thing and mid hump with fattnes. I’d go with an easy to dial in drive. Use the Minotaur and slowly lower the drive from its stock setting. Around 1.2 mid hump gets lower and it’s more flat/fat. There is a nice sweet spot around there depending on guitar and volume. Fat with a slight mid hump. That’s where it is. Adjust the tone on the Minotaur to taste, I tend to bump that up a little. With the Deluxe drive set to around 5-6 you won’t need a compressor now. This is already compressed imo. Adding more compression may cause you to disappear sometimes and poke out sometimes.

Idk… maybe I’m not helping at all :facepalm

Had a band rehearsal last night and fired up the patch in question. Hated it. Didnt have time to dial anything though, I worked up until about 5 minutes before people showed up.

Revisiting an old friend and getting goosebumps again. The US Double Norm in Helix bumped with the tubescreamer has got to be the best low/mid gain tone and feel I can find in there. Just the stock cab too. My conundrum is I am the only guitar player in the bands I am in currently and the main cover band does mostly danceable rock covers. I had switched over to using mostly high gain amp models which seemed to fatten the sound up some but been craving this whole edge of breakup into mid gain thing high gain for solos. It seemed though like I couldn't get that type of amp model to sound big like I have with the high gain amp models. I figure I am doing something wrong. I want to use a consistent tone all night not jumping from say the Double Norm to the Revv Gen red etc etc..

What could I be doing wrong to where my lower gain sounds are great through my JBL 305 studio monitors but then when I switch over to my hybrid rig it just sounds small? I mean I know adjustments have to be made when going from 5" speakers and all that so I do dial after I hook up to my rig but I have tried eq settings and different reverbs, different cuts, cabs and mics and I just can't seem to get there as far as sounding bigger.

Any advice from those that use Helix for this type of lower gain playing in a one guitar band set up? What I am shooting for is what comes out of my 305's at about 15 more db.

Try the Deluxe Normal model with the C212n cab instead of the Twin. Or the Princess.

Back