Daw question

megametal7

Roadie
TGF Recording Artist
Right….

Sound guy is fucking us around asking more money to get basic mix levels sorted.

Im going to get stems from him to have it mixed somewhere else.

He recored in Logic…

Question is…

Can it be converted so it loads in different daw?

Thx

Last edited:
Im so pissed at him is unreal…..

He made us sound worse than we actualy sound :rofl

My other guitarist is lived too….

I hate to be that guy but I tolled the band this guy was bad news…. From the get go….. They didnt listen to me….

Its sounds so amateur with all unwanted noises… and this is the guy who dose this this for living…

He made us sound like korky buckeck from borat movies…

Now we have to pay extra to have it fixed….

Sigh

Dude that does suck.

I've been where you are. The guy was so heavy-handed with the reverb, and saying all the typical, "I've been doing this for years, I know what I'm doing, blah blah blah..."

None of the other guys would speak up ( I didn't hire him), so finally I said, "Look dude, just because I don't know my way around a console doesn't mean I don't have good ears. When I compare this mix to anything else, it doesn't sound nearly as good. Besides, you work for us. We've all said we don't like the reverb, so take it out."

So finally, he relented, but told us it wouldn't sound nearly as good, plus he wasn't finished with it. I was still like, I don't care. Just give it to me w/o all that goo.

I took it right out to my car, the guys got in, and we all agreed it sounded 1000% better. In fact, it didn't even need much polishing, especially since we weren't recording a fucking album, just a demo tape to get gigs. Which for that purpose, it did the job just fine.

I have also been in a later session where I made it clear up-front that I wanted to be responsible for the mix levels, but I'd need help with the finishing touches and such, and that guy was fine with it. He was like, "I'll do it however you want. It's your money." He had great mics, and captured everything well, I did the basic mix levels, then he took it from there, and it came out sounding great.

Lots of bands have a hands-on approach with the mixing, and work alongside/with the engineer. But in my limited experience, you need to get that agreed upon before the session starts.

Sorry you're having to deal with this!

I swear to you i am embarrassed to show it to anyone….

Ill be more proud to show my first recording than this trash…

Some guitar paned left some not at all…..

I tolled him to make triplets pop…. He gose what dose that mean?

I think his doing this shit on purpose so we spend more money to have it fixed.

I asked him to Eq my solo so it dose not sound too woofy… he made it sound like broken am clock radio with 10cm speaker… it sounds so harsh i can hear demon taking a piss at me…

Please pray for me :rofl

Last edited:
A humble mix engineer is a good, dare I say great engineer.

Get the stems, with NO processing, and do it yourself. Even if they don't line up quite right, you can fix it.

I tolled him to make triplets pop….
Well, interesting you mention that. Just a thought...

I'm working on a triplet-based solo right now, and to be sure, to make any triplets sound good, starts with the player. Not saying you guys aren't already doing this, but check to make sure they're being accented as triplets. Especially if it's more than 1 person playing them together. Sometimes it's a very slight accent, but it really makes a different.

Like in this, these are definitely being accented, and they come out sounding TIGHT af!

Well, interesting you mention that. Just a thought...

I'm working on a triplet-based solo right now, and to be sure, to make any triplets sound good, starts with the player. Not saying you guys aren't already doing this, but check to make sure they're being accented as triplets. Especially if it's more than 1 person playing them together. Sometimes it's a very slight accent, but it really makes a different.

Like in this, these are definitely being accented, and they come out sounding TIGHT af!

This is my demo version of same song. I recorded at home with basic skills I have.

I want him to make this song better not worse.

Sorry to hear that, man.
I've been the rescue engineer once and has been an awkward situation because the fired engineer had rented mix room in the same studio.

Sorry to hear that, man.
I've been the rescue engineer once and has been an awkward situation because the fired engineer had rented mix room in the same studio.
Me too.

We will get it sorted with someone else.

Back