Current Guitar Lineup

Oh definitely. I have only bought...one guitar in the last few years?

I've also had my eye on semi-hollows for what seems like about five years. I could probably sneak into one of these and be out of pocket a couple hundred.

I like the standard red finish, but the flame tops are also pretty nice. I already have a flamed sunburst guitar though. The blue looks a little obnoxious but sometimes looks neat online. The dark red burst is also interesting looking.

L78213000002000-02-720x720.jpg

L78207000001000-02-720x720.jpg
L78207000002000-02-720x720.jpg

L86034000001000-02-720x720.jpg

I picked up one of the red ones a year or so ago and it’s been my main backup ever since, I was really impressed with how much better these are than the old “Dot” model.

The pickups are way better, but I’m still not crazy about them. Im trying to work up the courage to try to change out all the electronics :nails

For me, the thing Gibsons seem to do better than anything else is that warm, round, full tone on clean settings that is so even and consistent. I love that sound so much when I’m playing clean single note lines and jazz. I don’t know if you have a use for those kind of sounds, but for me that is the thing a Les Paul does better than a PRS that creates room for both

Im trying to work up the courage to try to change out all the electronics :nails
I did this on a Hamer 335 knock off last spring and it went suprisingly easier/faster than I expected. I used a pre-wired harness, and did have to use a drill to ream out the pot holes a smidge to go from metric to imperial sized pots which -- while nerve wracking was super easy. Getting everything crammed in was easier than expected.

I had actually previously replaced the pickups in that guitar by....just pulling the pickup out as far as I could and cutting the lead. Kinda janky, but then again my expectation at the time was to eventually trade it in at GC so wasn't too concerned about an unseen from the outside jankiness. That was easy and worked great. The switch eventually crapped out, though, and at that point I just figured I'd replace the whole kit and caboodle.

The one time I did semi-hollow wiring, it was an Epiphone with the quick connects. I got lazy and just clipped the connectors and spliced in the new pickups.

I did this on a Hamer 335 knock off last spring and it went suprisingly easier/faster than I expected. I used a pre-wired harness, and did have to use a drill to ream out the pot holes a smidge to go from metric to imperial sized pots which -- while nerve wracking was super easy. Getting everything crammed in was easier than expected.

I had actually previously replaced the pickups in that guitar by....just pulling the pickup out as far as I could and cutting the lead. Kinda janky, but then again my expectation at the time was to eventually trade it in at GC so wasn't too concerned about an unseen from the outside jankiness. That was easy and worked great. The switch eventually crapped out, though, and at that point I just figured I'd replace the whole kit and caboodle.

That's good to hear. I actually discovered yesterday that the bridge pickup cavity has a hole big enough that I could feed the harness through there instead of going in the F hole. Trying to decide if that would make it any easier.

Other than the "meh" pickups I love the guitar. I've used it on quite a few shows and always enjoy playing it. Probably about time I invest in a Gibson 335

That's good to hear. I actually discovered yesterday that the bridge pickup cavity has a hole big enough that I could feed the harness through there instead of going in the F hole. Trying to decide if that would make it any easier.

Other than the "meh" pickups I love the guitar. I've used it on quite a few shows and always enjoy playing it. Probably about time I invest in a Gibson 335
Going in through the f-holes DID feel like I was putting about as much strain on one of the cap solder joints as it would take, so if the pickup hole is an easier fit, it might make things a little easier? You'll still probably need to do a little finger-probing through the f-holes to get whatever string you use to get a more vertical pull on the shaft to them through the appropriate hole. Its definitely worth giving a good hard look at the problem in terms of order of feeding/order of installing each bit to make it the easiest on you as possible, but once I had a strategy sorted, it went off without significantly more cussing than any other pickup/electronic swap.

the current list...56 instruments.

"Fender"Superstrat Partscaster
Bahrahhaas (Barajas)Speedcaster
BC RichSpecial X Mockingbird
EpiphoneES-339 Pro
EpiphoneLes Paul Custom
EpiphoneLes Paul Junior
EpiphoneLes Paul Junior
FenderDeluxe Nashville Telecaster
FenderJeff Beck Stratocaster
FenderLincoln Brewster Stratocaster
FenderMod Shop Stratocaster
FenderMod Shop Stratocaster
FenderPlayer Plus HSS Stratocaster
FenderSpecial Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH
FenderStratocaster
FenderStratocaster (made from Fender parts)
FenderTelecaster (made from Fender parts)
FenderAcoustasonic Player Telecaster
Gibson50s Les Paul Standard
GibsonFlying V
GibsonLes Paul Classic
GretschElectromatic G5425
HamerSpecial FM
Harley BentonDC-600 VI
Harley BentonDC-Custom
Harley BentonHB JA-60SB
IbanezJEMJRSP
IbanezRG320DXQM
James TylerStudio Elite
James Tyler JapanClassic
Keith HollandTuxedo Tele
Paul Reed SmithSE Custom 22
PeaveyT-15
SquierAffinity Jazz Bass V
SquierAffinity Jazz Bass V
SquierAffinity Jazzmaster
SquierAffinity Jazzmaster HH
SquierBullet Mustang
SquierClassic Vibe '50s Stratocaster
SquierClassic Vibe '50s Telecaster
SquierClassic Vibe '60s Custom Telecaster
SquierClassic Vibe '60s Jazz Bass Fretless
SquierClassic Vibe '60s Precision Bass
SquierClassic Vibe '60s Stratocaster
SquierClassic Vibe '70s Stratocaster HSS
SquierClassic Vibe '70s Telecaster Deluxe
SquierContemporary Stratocaster HH FR
SquierJ Mascis Jazzmaster
SquierParanormal Baritone Cabronita Telecaster
Taylor214CE Plus
YamahaBB3000S
YamahaRevstar RS720B

Suhr modern
Vigier Excalibur
Aristides 060
Strandberg original 6
Jackson soloist ( 1990)
Ibanez RG 3120 ( 2001)
Ibanez Genesis RG 550
Ibanez S540 (1990)
Ibanez jazz box
Ibanez RGD ( custom built)
Steinberger GS7Z
Steinberger GL4T
Steinberger GL2H
Kramer Baretta ( 1984)
Kramer 5150 relic
Kramer 5150 nos
PRS cu22 (1999)
Fender Blackmore strat.
61 strat replica
54 strat replica
50 broadcaster replica
Eastman dm1
Selmer replica
Ovation ultra (USA)
Yamaha classical
Warmoth custom.
That’s it at the moment.
I would prefer fewer but I don’t know what to let go. One of the Gypsy Jazz boxes should but I can’t decide which one I prefer they are both different sounding and one has a thinner neck.

i have five bodies and three necks over at my tech's place now.

which means i need to buy two more necks...at least.

My lineup:

For playing at home...

50655525341_a2ee8624c5_b.jpg

Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS QMT
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster HH FMT

My partscasters
51255371003_37ae9b8589_b.jpg

Fender Pawnshop Offset Special with a 9.5-14" compound radius C-D carve ebony board American Elite Stratocaster neck
'93 MIJ Fender '52 Reissue Telecaster with a 9.5-14" compound radius C-D carve ebony board American Elite Telecaster neck

Gig guitars

5068136280_a92db2e425_c.jpg
48059977988_9868c0de2e_b.jpg

2001 Gibson Memphis Dot Reissue ES-335
Gibson ES-137 Custom

These seven cover all the bases for me. I tend to rotate the first five at home in no particular order based on whatever I feel like playing at the time. For gigs, I start most sets with the ES-137 Custom and switch to the 335 once I feel properly warmed up.

Last edited:
Musical pickups today:

Finally swapping the pickups out of my Ibanez AZ. I didn't want to, but the neck and middle are too bright compared to the humbucker and the switch is super noisy. Had to pull a pickup out of my PRS S2 to do so, and then I'll probably end up swapping pickups in my Fenders at some point too.

Ibanez AZ will have a Dimarzio PAF 36th in the bridge with Area 67 middle and Injector neck. A little hotter and fatter sound all around. I'm just doing a standard 5-way switch with master volume and tone (no tone on the bridge position). Keeping the stock pickups and controls all wired up together just in case.

PRS S2 will get the Duncan 59/Custom Hybrid bridge and Jazz neck that I have sitting around, and some new raw nickel covers to dress them up. I have a 5-way super switch that I plan to wire up for some interesting switching.

Thinking of putting the Dimarzio Area pickups back in the Fenders as well. Tele would get the Area Hot T and Area T set, and the Strat would get an Area 61 neck, Area 58 middle, and Injector bridge.

Les Paul is using the same SD Alnico 2 Pro pickups that I got a couple months back, and just got some raw nickel covers for them (looks aged now). Those sound great in that guitar. PRS has the 85/15 pickups back in it, but will likely put the Thornbuckers back in.

Okay - you guys are making me feel better (less guilty) about my 10 or 11. (I should count them).

Same. Glad to not be the biggest hoarder/guitar glutton here. :LOL:

Yeah man, guitars are like anything else, there are people who don't have as many as you, and other people who have a lot more than you.

I'm up to 17 now. I've been wanting to do my own thread like this one, I've just been too busy at work :mad:

Finally rearranging my home office space, and put together my "distraction free" guitar corner. Combo amp and a few pedals with no screens in sight.

Picking up a few other things for the office today, but will try and set up my electric drum kit for the first time in years.

52598830013_8a76728330_b.jpg

More pickup updates...

I did swap out the pickups in the Ibanez AZ, from the stock Seymour Duncan HSS set. Those pickups were a little low output, about 5.8k for the single coils and about 7.5k in the bridge. I wanted to try noiseless pickups in there with a little more output, and then replace all the electronics. I was having issues with the volume pot, which I already replaced once, and wasn't using the extra switching options. So I removed all the electronics and left everything intact (pickups wired up to pots and switches), and put in fresh 250k pots and 5-way switch from Fender (I've had good luck with Fender brand stuff).

Initially I put in a Dimarzio Injector Neck and Area 67 middle pickup, plus the Dimarzio 36th PAF bridge. This is a pretty good combo, although the neck pickup is a touch hot/fat and the bridge is a touch mid forward. Even though the PAF 36th is hotter than the stock humbucker, it was clearer.

Then I decided to try an Air Classic in the bridge and found one on Reverb. The 36th PAF I have is regular spacing with a nickel cover and I grabbed one that's white (to match the plastics) and F-spaced. Installed it yesterday and was surprised how bright it is compared to the 36th PAF. It measures a little lower output (8.3k or so on the Air Classic compared to the 8.9k on the 36th).

Normally with HSS guitars I like to wire up 250k pots for master volume and tone, and then wire the tone pot to only be active in the neck through neck/bridge positions. This lets the single coils see the same load as 250k pots (125k) and the humbucker to see the same load as 500k pots (250k) But with the Air Classic, it's actually too bright so I'm going to have to wire it up as a true master tone. Alternately, I could put a nickel cover on it to try and dull the highs a tiny bit.

Anyways, here it is today with the white plastics:

52637109760_e946ca6b15_b.jpg

For the other guitars, I did put Dimarzio noiseless pickups back in my Tele and Strat. Haven't spent much time with them though to really judge them with the swaps. I'm finding with both guitars, more vintage output pickups are too bright and thin sounding (K-Line 64's in the Strat and K-Line Signature in the Tele). But often the noiseless ones can be a bit dark/warm.

I do have a set of Suhr V60LP's for the Strat I like quite a bit, they roll off the high end a bit which helps with the brightness. If I can find the right noiseless ones that would be preferable for recording. But I could also see swapping back to the Suhrs in the Strat and then grabbing a set of the Classic T's for the Tele, which I used previously and really liked.

And then on the PRS S2, I put my Duncan 59/Custom Hybrid bridge and Jazz neck set in, but I prefer the PAF 36th bridge and PAF Master combo. It just seems more balanced and lively.

That looks great Jarick, much better!

In my '93 MIJ Tele seen in post #52 above I installed a pair of Fender Noiseless N4 pickups and Fender American Elite volume and no load tone control. They sound really great in that guitar.

Pickup carousel round 5,000: I decided to ditch the noiseless pickups again (for now). Snagged a couple used pickup sets and a new Tele pickup.

Here's the plan:

PRS CE-24 -> Suhr Thornbuckers (Plus bridge)
PRS S2 Standard 24 -> Suhr SSV's
Les Paul -> Wolfetone Dr Vintage / Marshallhead
Strat -> Suhr V60LP's
Tele -> Suhr Classic T's

I got the SSV's in last week, and the Wolfetones and Classic T bridge in today. Going to try the Classic T along with the K-Line neck (which is more like a Strat style).

For the Ibanez AZ, I swapped out the Dimarzio noiseless for some K-Line 64's that I had sitting around and they sound awesome. The OCD part of my brain is not going to be happy with mismatched pickups though. So I'll probably end up with either a Thornbucker or SSV in the bridge along with V60LP's or ML Standards.

And the Les Paul, I actually pulled out all the electronics and put the Mojotone solderless harness back in there. The CTS pots that I just installed last Fall already are acting up. For now I put the Dimarzio 36th PAF bridge and PAF master neck, but will swap out for the Wolfetones tonight. The Dimarzios are just kind of blah in there.

Also, you know what's kind of fun? Watching pickup readings as they warm up. It's -10 F outside and so far the Dr Vintage has gone from 6.85k up to 7.33k. Marshallhead went from 8.19k to 8.58k. We'll see where it stops!

Oh and I have a massive pickup purge upcoming. Probably need to clear out about 15-20 pickups of different types. And a few pedals and headphones too.

Back