Check out my Unit!

Gearzilla

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
0293DB78-B8E0-42FF-BF8D-6ACF65DD98CA.jpeg

“The Unit67 is a compact and fully analog device that has a highly versatile EQ set including a „Rangemaster-like“ mid control, a boost and an 1176 type of compressor – all in one extremely practical guitar pedal.” —DryBell

Pretty cool pedal!

Last edited:
@Gearzilla Do you have any more thought concerning the compressor aspect of the Unit67?

Do you use light compression or heavy compression? How does it compare to other compressors and have you used any other 1176-style pedals?

I've been using the Diamond Comp Jr very subtley for years on my clean tones, and the optical nature of it does fatten things up; however I'm currently thinking that I'd like a bit more control and considering the Empress MKII.... but looking at the 1176 pedals too.

What I'm attracted to with the Empress is the HPF feature (not sending low bass frequencies to the detector) - something I've been doing digitally in the FM3 recently, and now I want an analog version of that. But perhaps I should not fixate on that feature and consider the Unit67 or something else.

I was also excited about the Suhr Woodshed compressor, but I've given up on that for the moment because they're impossible to get hold of in Canada right now.

Last edited:
@Gearzilla Do you have any more thought concerning the compressor aspect of the Unit67?
Not so much. I’m not really a compressor aficionado. The Unit67 combined a couple of things I had been considering down into one pedal. I do like it.

Beforehand I had been considering a Origin Effects Cali 76 compact deluxe and some other boost options.

Sounds really nice with my Strat into a derivative of a blackface style Bassman amp.

Not so much. I’m not really a compressor aficionado. The Unit67 combined a couple of things I had been considering down into one pedal. I do like it.

Beforehand I had been considering a Origin Effects Cali 76 compact deluxe and some other boost options.

Sounds really nice with my Strat into a derivative of a blackface style Bassman amp.

Ooh. That's encouraging, given that I'm playing a Strat-style guitar into a modded BF Bandmaster with a touch of Bassman (Bella).

@Gearzilla Seeing as this thread has been resurrected, could we have an update on the pedal? Thoughts after 6 months?

(I wouldn't mind hearing about that Impala too)

In the meantime, I realised that I have no idea if I'd even like a Feed-Forward compressor vs FET 1176-style. I've never used FF before. So I plugged the FM9 into the front of the Princeton with the Studio FF comp selected and...

Yep. REALLY good. FF definitely retains transients as advertised. I'm going to play a bit more with this too, and compare with the 1176. FAS models are so useful for exploring this sort of thing, even if the goal is to use a real pedal.

Background to this is that whilst the FM9 is fantastic into the Princeton, I don't want to keep moving the FM9 from it's spot in another location and shoving it in front of the Princeton, when I've got a mini-pedalboard there. First world problems!

But I do like splitting my time between the tube amp and the FM9 + monitors at the moment. 2 different little rigs for different moods and reasons.

Last edited:
Back