Cheap Excellent Guitar

Just saw this?

The Firefly guitars are giving Harely Benton a run for their money for sure. They are more small and limited run batches of builds, but it is nice to check out some of these where I don't have to pay for overseas shipping. It is interesting to see these sub $200 guitars come with full size bourns and alpha mini pots, and decent caps. The Firefly LP I got to check out had Full size 500k Pots with orange drop caps and the soldering was clean! The pickups were also wax potted and sounded pretty good. I am not sure how well they fare en masse, or if the components are consistent between batches. I would suspect not... If those FFSTs came in a hardtail I would be all over one.

I bought a Harley Benton Dullahan just under $300 and it's a killer axe, even used it a little over my Strandberg on my new (first) EP. There's a couple of their Fusion series which come with jumbo stainless steel frets, Wilkenson bridge, and the same excellent Rosewell pickups that are in the Dullahan for just under $200. I think it's doubtful you'll find anything with specs close to what Harley Benton's offer under $500.
When it comes to HB, the Roswell loaded ones are well worth it. I was surprised by how well the Roswell clean tones were. From my limited experience with HB, still need to get my hands on one to keep, the Telsa pickups are kinda meh, the HBZs are atrocious sounding, but the Roswells hold up to almost any passive pickup including my Gibson burstbucker.

Back