Caught in this cycle lately (Fractal/Mesa content)

You know what? I think that you might be right. I'm tweaking a lot, and I'm running SS power amps.

If I plug the FM3 into my Bella head FX return and turn off PA modelling in the FM3, it sounds really amazing (I just did this tonight).

Then again, the Bella is mainly just a big iron power amp with minimal preamp, so that makes sense. Kinda defeats much of the utility of amp modelling; although at least it's a self contained pedalboard with no patch cables, countless preset possiblities and pro grade effects.

What's your signal chain, BTW?

For live use with the band I am just running the FM3 into the FX Return of a 100 watt Tube amp (4 x EL34),
with the power amp and cab modeling "on." Coming out of the amp I run into a 2 x 12 cab. I have tried it
with the power amp and cab modeling "off" and I preferred them "on"----even though that is, apparently,
not recommended.

I think it sounds glorious! :chef

Obviously, there are a lot of options and possibilities for how a modeler is powered and monitored. I have tried
most of the recommended ones, and this just feels/sounds best. To me.

My reply wasn't about me dissing anyone else's setup. It was in response to @TubeStack trying to match the
Electra Dyne tone with a Fractal and an SS power amp. I think that is where the challenge comes in. :idk

Well its the different strokes for different folks some like to tweak because of that nagging question mark what if ?
and some dont, i do like tweaking and enjoy it, but it does not cut into my practice time

I cured myself of the tweaking rabbit hole about 3 months after getting my AxeFX; those first 3 months I was exploring it and figuring it all out, then realized I had gotten ZERO work done in my studio. I made some presets that’ll cover the majority of tones I use and only tweak on days when I’m mixing.

I used to track everything with a DI to make sure I’d have a bail out option if I tracked something with a tone that wasn’t working, but the last 3-4 songs I’ve recorded I haven’t even bothered. Much like songs themselves, I tend to look at tones as a just a point in time. Every song is different and I haven’t used the same tones from one song to another, even if they’re the same genre. As long as they get the point of the song across, I’m happy.

diezel has a newer amp that has effects. that looks really cool but is very expensive. if someone like mesa, evh, orange, peavey or prs could do something like that with tube gain sounds but then digital effects controlled simply with their footswitch in a decent price range i think that could be really cool.

1666704856146.jpeg

FSM432FS-large.jpg

For me, the classic amps that get modeled aren't the amps that have tickled my fancy, so, I'm not usually able to find "my" tone in modelers, and, especially with my current band, tube amp Amp where I'm at tone is king, so I don't bother trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

As previously mentioned, my modeler serves as midi switcher, pre/post fx, backup rig, and IEM mixer . . .

That Diezel, in every clip I have heard (all 2 of them because they are INSANELY priced); they sound terrible. I do like the looks. Baba; I wanted to try the Black Spirit but the internet has told me it doesn't sound good so that trigger will probably never be pulled; no matter whether or not it actually sounds good :bag

And I completely understand that :LOL:

When I said (above), that I don't bother trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, that's not entirely accurate. I try, it just never works.

My solution to tail chasing was to stop trying to convince myself that a modeler will give me the same playing experience as my tube amps. Once I did that and let each rig be good at what it does and use the tool that best fits then gig then the nonsense stopped, for me anyway.

Last edited:
OP here. (Is this place big/busy enough now to need that clarification?)

So the cycle has been continuing… :brick

However, I think there's been a breakthrough... I have discovered the Friedman BE v3 and LOVE it. Played it last night for a good couple hours and did not have any urge to return to my real amp.

Also, I’ve found a few Speaker tab settings in the Amp block that are really helping:

- Cabinet Resonance at 140
- Drive and Thump at 0
- Speaker Compression at 35
- Compliance at 50

Big difference in feel and not causing ear fatigue! (I previously had everything at 0 and compliance at 100.)

Also made a couple of "attitude adjustments":

- realized I don't listen so extremely closely/analytically when playing my real amp, I just play and enjoy it, so try and do the same with the FM9

- reminded myself again that it doesn’t have to sound exactly like my amp, it just has to sound great and make me want to play more

- realized I don't listen so extremely closely/analytically when playing my real amp, I just play and enjoy it, so try and do the same with the FM9

This has been the biggest breakthrough for me in allowing me to enjoy playing music more.

Hating on/critiquing one's tone while playing is a super buzzkill.
The other guitarist I play with in the band tends to get really hung up on that.
We talked about it last night at rehearsal. He hunches over his Helix way more than I.
Fuck, I never bend down to tweak mid-song... or during practice. It's just not fun for
me, and I have come to conclude that it is a mental thing. It's like this nagging
self-doubt/crippling analysis that robs of the present moment and fully investing
ourselves in our actual playing.

It's not something I notice drummers or vocalists (provided they have good monitoring)
doing.

That chronic critique of tone and playing helps us get better----until it robs us of the joy
of playing.

Ok I am having a GREAT time now with the FM9 amp modelling, now that I've discovered the Friedman BE V3 and these Speaker tab settings in the amp block. Like, WOW… :love:love:love

I love this sound and just want to play and play. :rawk

Still, I've had killer actual tube amps I've loved at home but not with a live, loud band (Mark V, Badlander 100, most recently), so I'm aware I may not love this in that setting. But it's also far more versatile and change-able, so we'll see.

And the main point is, I'm just loving the sound and feel and not jonesing for my Electra Dyne. For me, that's huge!

Back