Caught in this cycle lately (Fractal/Mesa content)

The FM9 does sound better in 4cm with a tube amp than the FM3, IME. Maybe placebo from knowing it has better circuitry for it, who knows, but I don't think so.

(It also sounds 1000x better than the HXFX in 4cm, that I can say pretty much hands down.)
I like HX in my loop. Up front and loop; not so much. Not enough blocks to make it work on the stomp for anything meaningful anyway.

@TubeStack If it's any consolation, you are not alone. I have been stuck in the same loop. I'm leaning more towards the real amp at the moment, because I'm tired of constantly tweaking the FM3, despite all its wonderful features and options.

I'm starting to believe that this is (for many slightly tone-obsessive types anyway) just normal behavior with very full-featured modellers. FML.

I like HX in my loop. Up front and loop; not so much. Not enough blocks to make it work on the stomp for anything meaningful anyway.

Yes. I went from HXFX in 4cm to HXFX in front and Stomp in amp's loop and the latter was a big improvement from the former. (I can't speak regarding the Stomp in 4cm, only tried it briefly.)

But the HXFX definitely affected the sound in a noticeable and undesirable way in 4cm, at least with my setup, which really sucked once I noticed/ realized it, because in many ways it's the perfect unit for me (TWSS).

Reactions: JT
Wait until you guys get a soldering iron…
crazy the simpsons GIF

… some toobz, caps, magic diodes, big iron …

200.gif

@TubeStack If it's any consolation, you are not alone. I have been stuck in the same loop. I'm leaning more towards the real amp at the moment, because I'm tired of constantly tweaking the FM3, despite all its wonderful features and options.

I'm starting to believe that this is (for many slightly tone-obsessive types anyway) just normal behavior with very full-featured modellers. FML.

That is some consolation, thanks! :beer

Sometimes I think I'd be better off with with just my amp and a nano-size board of 3-4 pedals, but these damn shiny digital wonderboxes with their multi-coloured switches and endless possibilities can be so attracting… :grin

Sometimes I think I'd be better off with with just my amp and a nano-size board of 3-4 pedals, but these damn shiny digital wonderboxes with their multi-coloured switches and endless possibilities can be so attracting… :grin

That's pretty much where I seem to be going!

But you know... even with a tiny pedalboard and real amp... there's always countless speaker swaps to be had :LOL:

Yep, been down that rabbit hole. I learned a lot, but then decided no more for me. If an amp or cab doesn't have a speaker I like in it, it's an instant no-go, now.

Pedals are a rabbithole of little colorful boxes that bring joy……and expense. But I love it.

I don't tweak. What's wrong with me guys??
I'm right there with ya! I now have about 3-4 go-to presets on my Axe III, and other than turning off/on the delay, I don't mess with them any more, and I'll just play the same preset for weeks.

Right now I'm using one based on a Recto Orange of all things. I never liked the Rectos in the Axe for some reason. Probably those BD DT880 phones I had. I really like these ATH-M50x's now. It's all I use. I know, crazy.

#Totally Content

I'm right there with ya! I now have about 3-4 go-to presets on my Axe III, and other than turning off/on the delay, I don't mess with them any more, and I'll just play the same preset for weeks.

Right now I'm using one based on a Recto Orange of all things. I never liked the Rectos in the Axe for some reason. Probably those BD DT880 phones I had. I really like these ATH-M50x's now. It's all I use. I know, crazy.

#Totally Content

This is usually me, too.

I’ve used the same tube amp at the same settings, with the same two drive pedals, for five years now. Used another amp for seven years prior to that one. The drive pedals I’ve actually been using for eight years.

But I’m in the process of trying to get this FM9 + SS amp and cab setup sounding and feeling as good, or nearly as good, as my tube amp, hence all the tweaking and searching.

Last edited:

#Totally Content

Yup. I haven't tweaked my FM3 in over a year. I play/use it every day, too.

Maybe my ears are not "discerning" enough. :LOL:

This usually me, too.

I’ve used the same tube amp at the same settings, with the same two drive pedals, for five years now. Used another amp for seven years prior to that one. The drive pedals I’ve actually been using for eight years.

But I’m in the process of trying to get this FM9 + SS amp and cab setup sounding and feeling as good, or nearly as good, as my tube amp, hence all the tweaking and searching.

In my experience, I think that is gonna be tough, to impossible, with an SS power amp.

Anyone can come here and beat me up for saying that. ;)

In my experience, I think that is gonna be tough, to impossible, with an SS power amp.

Anyone can come here and beat me up for saying that. ;)

You know what? I think that you might be right. I'm tweaking a lot, and I'm running SS power amps.

If I plug the FM3 into my Bella head FX return and turn off PA modelling in the FM3, it sounds really amazing (I just did this tonight).

Then again, the Bella is mainly just a big iron power amp with minimal preamp, so that makes sense. Kinda defeats much of the utility of amp modelling; although at least it's a self contained pedalboard with no patch cables, countless preset possiblities and pro grade effects.

What's your signal chain, BTW?

Last edited:
Back