Case Queens & Closet Classics: Let’s See Them

norminal

Rock Star
I know some of you have at least one. Let’s see them!

Here’s my absolute mint condition 1993 Ibanez S540OL. I bought one of these new back in 1991 and regrettably traded it in on a G&L Legacy because, you know, grunge.

CD5BB9D7-41CA-4DA1-A974-11A0C9174C7B.jpeg

I scoured eBay and Reverb for years and actually bought a couple that were in mediocre condition. I ultimately found this beauty that the original owner was selling and had barely played.

The guitar has zero wear and the frets haven’t even been polished. It would definitely pass as NOS:

494E4FD8-3002-4E03-83D7-6F4363076E09.jpeg

4E335DEC-A3DD-4B16-96AB-4E98F9B9A099.jpeg

A82BBB63-C812-44C8-AFC7-5BD7A60408EC.jpeg

13865B80-D449-4B14-882E-B542C78646E9.jpeg

I pull it out occasionally to play, but my hands don’t get along with the Wizard necks these days. This will become an heirloom after I pass away.

Man, I can’t keep a guitar for a week without f*cking it all up with dings and scratches, never mind over 30 years!!! That’s nuts!

Man, I can’t keep a guitar for a week without f*cking it all up with dings and scratches, never mind over 30 years!!! That’s nuts!
Definitely wasn’t my doing. The previous owner must have not bonded with it and just let it sit in its case instead of letting it go. I like to think it was just waiting for me to find it. It’s just too clean and sentimental to subject it to any abuse or accidental damage.

I'm not an Ibanez fan, but that is a beautiful guitar in the OP.

I used to have a few closet queens, but I was petrified that they'd get a ding that would hurt resale value, so they rarely made it out of the closet. These days, everything I have is a relic, whether put there by the luthier(s), by my dumbass, or from 60-ish years of play.

Oh. And I forgot to mention that I found a NOS Ibanez M100C case from that era to store it in. 😁

I'm not an Ibanez fan, but that is a beautiful guitar in the OP.

I used to have a few closet queens, but I was petrified that they'd get a ding that would hurt resale value, so they rarely made it out of the closet. These days, everything I have is a relic, whether put there by the luthier(s), by my dumbass, or from 60-ish years of play.
Yeah, my other guitars are a different story. They all have battle scars and various defects. I treat those like tools. 👍🏻

I just looked around, and out of my 15 guitars, NONE of them are case queens/closet classics, because I gig them.

I just looked around, and out of my 15 guitars, NONE of them are case queens/closet classics, because I gig them.
I was waiting for someone like you to comment. ❤️

As I stated. All of mine are beat to hell except that one. It’s sentimental and the point of this thread. 👍🏻

I was waiting for someone like you to comment. ❤️

As I stated. All of mine are beat to hell except that one. It’s sentimental and the point of this thread. 👍🏻
Oh my bad, I think my post came off wrong. I wasn’t saying that in a snarky way, I was actually surprised I didn’t have one

Not a "closet queen" but definitely well taken care of... my 1977 Ibanez Artist 2618. Still plays effortlessly even though the frets are old.
I've had her since '95 and gigged her a lot, especially back then. But I was always really careful with this particular guitar, maybe because it's heavy and not something you want to just toss around.
Tc233nB.jpg

Not a "closet queen" but definitely well taken care of... my 1977 Ibanez Artist 2618. Still plays effortlessly even though the frets are old.
I've had her since '95 and gigged her a lot, especially back then. But I was always really careful with this particular guitar, maybe because it's heavy and not something you want to just toss around.
Tc233nB.jpg

4F5C5139-BA58-41C3-AB13-0C33C250D46C.jpeg

Mid 1980s.

(I didn’t do the ugly mod - bought it that way. Trade actually.)

Back