Can you tell me about this Celestion

A friend gave me an old amplifier that belonged to his dad. It’s a Crate V18 but it has a “speaker upgrade”. The speaker is a Celestion G12 Rockdriver Junior. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of information about it online.

IMG_3267.jpeg

I’m probably going to pull it and try it in my DSL40C.

The Crate amp has the reverb on 100% all the time. It self-identifies as a surf amp.

I don't think it's a V30, since the magnet is smaller here. According to the pics found here:
...it is a G12-F60, which hints to 60W and could be a lower priced OEM model by Celestion.

Maybe it's similar to their current offering Midnight 60...?

A friend gave me an old amplifier that belonged to his dad. It’s a Crate V18 but it has a “speaker upgrade”. The speaker is a Celestion G12 Rockdriver Junior. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of information about it online.

View attachment 27902

I’m probably going to pull it and try it in my DSL40C.

The Crate amp has the reverb on 100% all the time. It self-identifies as a surf amp.
It is 8 ohms!

I've seen some old posts on other forums indicating that the V-Type might be related to it.

I've seen these speakers, or ones with the Rockdriver name, in 2000s Hughes and Kettner cabs.

I bought a H&K 412 cab and it has Rockdriver Vintage Speakers. I could not find anything about them so I emailed the company and below is what they told me.

Info <info@celestion.com>​

Thu, Jun 20, 4:41 AM
to me
Hi Barry,

Essentially it’s a G12S with a larger (44mm) voice coil. So it was custom made.

Regards,

Dr. Decibel
Celestion, Claydon Business Park, Great Blakenham, Ipswich IP6 0NL, UK
T: +44 (0) 1473 835300 W: www.celestion.com

I bought a H&K 412 cab and it has Rockdriver Vintage Speakers. I could not find anything about them so I emailed the company and below is what they told me.

Info <info@celestion.com>​

Thu, Jun 20, 4:41 AM
to me
Hi Barry,

Essentially it’s a G12S with a larger (44mm) voice coil. So it was custom made.

Regards,

Dr. Decibel
Celestion, Claydon Business Park, Great Blakenham, Ipswich IP6 0NL, UK
T: +44 (0) 1473 835300 W: www.celestion.com
Hey, thanks man! :)

Hey, thanks man! :)
No worries! Email them and get the number off the side of the speaker and they can tell you exactly what it is or what it is close to.

My number was ink stamped on one of the "legs" on the side of the speaker. He told me in the first email that it can be a sticker or ink stamped. Looks like there is a sticker on the side in your pic.

Back