Cabinet recommendations for Mesa/Boogie Mark VII head?

gearJunkie

Shredder
Looking to get a. Mark VII head with a Boogie 19 open-back 1x12 and a Boogie 19 Thiele closed-back 1x12.

Any thoughts on how this combination might sound & feel?

Part of my reasoning is that I could also use the cabs with my Triaxis + 2:Ninety rig since the MC90s match the stereo power amp's power output. I believe they would match better than the Marshall 30th Anniversary 6960B stereo 4x12 I've been using since the early 1990's.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Encouragement? Discouragement?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Good questions!

Convenience is probably the biggest reason for considering a pair of 1x12" cabs (size more so than weight). I will still have the 4x12 if needed for a large stage, but I was hoping the Thiele could help with bottom end, and the open-back would behave similar to the Mk VII combo.

Other consideration is that the 4x12 has no internal baffling between the stereo sides resulting in unwanted phase issues (with the 2:90).

Another positive is having more options when recording or playing smaller informal gigs and jam sessions.

Last edited:
I LOVE 4x12s. But I also have grown to LOVE 112s, especially with modeling as it feels like the cabinet form factor that gets out of the way the most. I have never tried a thiele cab but have always heard they sound massive so you might not miss the 412 experience after all; especially with some volume behind it?

I LOVE 4x12s. But I also have grown to LOVE 112s, especially with modeling as it feels like the cabinet form factor that gets out of the way the most. I have never tried a thiele cab but have always heard they sound massive so you might not miss the 412 experience after all; especially with some volume behind it?
So does my proposed configuration get the @JiveTurkey seal of approval?

So does my proposed configuration get the @JiveTurkey seal of approval?
From a few weeks back AKA yes!:
FBV6vGb.jpg

I believe 8? The selector on the back shows the number. They are per channel.
Thanks for the reply. The manual seemed to imply that in addition to the 8 assignable IR slots, the mk7 also has a library folder with both "live" and "studio" IRs that can be copied to the 8 slots.

Have you hooked your head up to your computer and played with the IR management folder?

@JiveTurkey / @Desertdweller (and anyone else with a MarkVII):

How many IRs are included in the MarkVII library? They don't list them in the online user manual.

Thanks
8. They're alright. Very raw and unprocessed, but there are better out there. I backed mine up in case I ever resell it, but the IRs have been replaced by some of my original ones, some Ownhammer, and some Bogren IRs.

Looking to get a. Mark VII head with a Boogie 19 open-back 1x12 and a Boogie 19 Thiele closed-back 1x12.

Any thoughts on how this combination might sound & feel?

Part of my reasoning is that I could also use the cabs with my Triaxis + 2:Ninety rig since the MC90s match the stereo power amp's power output. I believe they would match better than the Marshall 30th Anniversary 6960B stereo 4x12 I've been using since the early 1990's.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Encouragement? Discouragement?

Thanks.
Man, its an easy recommendation but a hard purchase.... MESA 4X12 OS.
I had in the past all the cab formats from MESA and the true king of tone in that OS cab, it brings out the true nature of a Mark amp.

Back