Browne Protein Drive...thoughts?

You’re not the only one! Every time I see it I just keep thinking of fecal matter in a plastic bag with a tube attached your meant to suck out. And I haven’t even had any edibles today.
Tom Delonge Wtf GIF

I built a DIY clone of the Browne Protein using PedalPCB boards from kits sold by Musikding.de. It's two separate pedals rather than one box but otherwise seems to sound like its real deal counterpart.

I think it's a really nice sounding pedal overall, easy to get good drive sounds with it. But there's honestly a lot of nice drive pedals out there and the Protein is just a modded Bluesbreaker and a modded Nobels ODR-1.

I had some issues getting the Green side (Nobels) working and because PedalPCB did not have a schematic for the Protein available, I just looked at their ODR-1 board's schematic and probably about 90% of it is exactly the same. You could probably buy your preferred Bluesbreaker style pedal and one of the Nordland ODR-1 style pedals and get pretty much the same thing as the Protein.

The pedal that bumped the Proteins off my board was the Strymon Riverside. I can get all the tones the Protein does with it just by setting its EQ differently, but I also have way more than that possible with it. The stacked setting can be just done with the high gain mode and different EQ.

I always urge people to give the Riverside a go. The demos on YT are pretty bad overall but the pedal is great. I cannot tell it is digital, I cannot feel any latency with it. It does have a learning curve to get great results with the EQ, switches and all. But there's a ton of sounds in it, plus a noise gate and good buffer if needed.

Back