Bought the MX5..again

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
Copied and pasted from my post at TGP. Too lazy to re-type it out LOL

My biggest reason? Had a gig last weekend and the bass player and I were a good 30ft from each other. I had been running him into my Helix return 1 jack with a separate bass amp path for him and getting an instrument cable to my Helix was a challenge to say the least. Luckily I had a mono/mono barrel connector and we connected 2 20 foot instrument cables together and got through the gig. He is a great player with a great attitude but he doesnt have any disposable income and the HD500 I gave him, though it is ok for tuning down with simple pitch, it doesnt have the bass amp pack and the USB port is busted on it so I cant put the bass pack on it if I wanted to.

So I set out to grab something to use for him that was affordable and compact. Almost grabbed another MG-30 (I really liked the Darkglass bass amps in it) but saw that the MX5 had a free backpack with it and the fact that you can actually see what effects are in a patch and not just some generic tag that says FX or MOD or what not. So I called up AMS last night and managed to get 10% off the MX5 PLUS the backpack so I grabbed it.
I am not giving it to him but he is going to use it at gigs and rehearsals. This guy is probably the easiest and most agreeable bass player I have ever worked with so I go out of my way to accommodate him. He will plug into whatever is available and be happy and do a great job. No complaints, no "can you just turn this up or down" stuff. It's like he's an angel sent from heaven.

Then of course the final kicker was, I was gassing and I just wanted another toy.

You should be copying and pasting from here :hmm:rofl

I know @the swede has had good experiences with the MX. I don't find myself drawn to it for whatever reason? The only mini thing I could see wanting to grab (barring FM0 or SY0) would be some sort of profile player. From Kemper or the ToneX thing.

I actually considered the Core also, which I didn't mention. I think if I am dissatisfied again with MX5 I may return it and get that instead. I am a bit of a sucker for slick and pretty UI's though. It's really a secondary device I wanted either way, so most likely the MX5 will do the job.

I have 2 infractions at TGP. The next suspension I am leaving there permanent like.

I actually considered the Core also, which I didn't mention. I think if I am dissatisfied again with MX5 I may return it and get that instead. I am a bit of a sucker for slick and pretty UI's though. It's really a secondary device I wanted either way, so most likely the MX5 will do the job.

I have 2 infractions at TGP. The next suspension I am leaving there permanent like.
The Core is not great, imo. If I am going for a small solution; Stomp all day, everyday.

Don't give up until you get ROD :D

Umm..nah,

7a638aff423f22b2baa6170c1cb84e1a.jpg

Copied and pasted from my post at TGP. Too lazy to re-type it out LOL

My biggest reason? Had a gig last weekend and the bass player and I were a good 30ft from each other. I had been running him into my Helix return 1 jack with a separate bass amp path for him and getting an instrument cable to my Helix was a challenge to say the least. Luckily I had a mono/mono barrel connector and we connected 2 20 foot instrument cables together and got through the gig. He is a great player with a great attitude but he doesnt have any disposable income and the HD500 I gave him, though it is ok for tuning down with simple pitch, it doesnt have the bass amp pack and the USB port is busted on it so I cant put the bass pack on it if I wanted to.

So I set out to grab something to use for him that was affordable and compact. Almost grabbed another MG-30 (I really liked the Darkglass bass amps in it) but saw that the MX5 had a free backpack with it and the fact that you can actually see what effects are in a patch and not just some generic tag that says FX or MOD or what not. So I called up AMS last night and managed to get 10% off the MX5 PLUS the backpack so I grabbed it.
I am not giving it to him but he is going to use it at gigs and rehearsals. This guy is probably the easiest and most agreeable bass player I have ever worked with so I go out of my way to accommodate him. He will plug into whatever is available and be happy and do a great job. No complaints, no "can you just turn this up or down" stuff. It's like he's an angel sent from heaven.

Then of course the final kicker was, I was gassing and I just wanted another toy.
For you… meh… you’ll get bored with it is my prediction.

But when describe your friend, sure, he’ll be fine. It’s perfectly capable of good sounds and the UI is super easy (although the screen is really to small to do “on the fly changes” with. Either one use only the screen or learn to use the only knob there is, one can scroll around and press and adjust anything with just that knob.

Stock cabs suck major ass, included IR library is capable (Whitemoon IRs especially). Throw in the York bass IR for him and make a simple preset with either scenes or three stomps, or both.. as one can easily switch from stomp mode to scene mode or rig mode… etc.

So yeah. For bass duty, it’ll work fine. But for you Bob it will be just another toy thing.

I have still have mine, it sits in the living room on a small table and is ready with a JTM model, York IR, delay and reverb, for the casual in front of the tv in the couch noodle.

Edit: I would rather gig with the gigboard because of screen estate… mx5 screen is super tiny when you are standing…

For you… meh… you’ll get bored with it is my prediction.

But when describe your friend, sure, he’ll be fine. It’s perfectly capable of good sounds and the UI is super easy (although the screen is really to small to do “on the fly changes” with. Either one use only the screen or learn to use the only knob there is, one can scroll around and press and adjust anything with just that knob.

Stock cabs suck major ass, included IR library is capable (Whitemoon IRs especially). Throw in the York bass IR for him and make a simple preset with either scenes or three stomps, or both.. as one can easily switch from stomp mode to scene mode or rig mode… etc.

So yeah. For bass duty, it’ll work fine. But for you Bob it will be just another toy thing.

I have still have mine, it sits in the living room on a small table and is ready with a JTM model, York IR, delay and reverb, for the casual in front of the tv in the couch noodle.

Edit: I would rather gig with the gigboard because of screen estate… mx5 screen is super tiny when you are standing…

Good to know. My first go around with it, I didn't really try the bass amps. I will definitely grab some bass IR's. I prefer YA also.

I have 2 infractions at TGP. The next suspension I am leaving there permanent like. Same at TGP for me.
I like my core. Not a fan of line 6 stuff.

Well I have had it for like an hour and really digging it through the return of my DSL40c that is running into a 4x12 of V30's and G12T-75's. I don't even remember trying this back when I first had it. Into the return that is. next up is to see how it works in a hybrid set up with one side going to PA with the GSP2101 Speaker Compensation and one to amp return.

Not sure if it will fit in this tiny bag they sent me for free though..

299002248_2005231786347993_1651984708395331540_n.jpg

You should be copying and pasting from here :hmm:rofl

I know @the swede has had good experiences with the MX. I don't find myself drawn to it for whatever reason? The only mini thing I could see wanting to grab (barring FM0 or SY0) would be some sort of profile player. From Kemper or the ToneX thing.
Have you tried the NUX MG-30? If not, may I come inside and share the good news? - Nuxovah’s Witness

Have you tried the NUX MG-30? If not, may I come inside and share the good news? - Nuxovah’s Witness
I have not. I have the Nux 2 tier pedalboard and I dig it and the bundled bag. But I don't want an Atomic Amplifier official product let alone something that looks both more extensive yet hauntingly familiar.

I have not. I have the Nux 2 tier pedalboard and I dig it and the bundled bag. But I don't want an Atomic Amplifier official product let alone something that looks both more extensive yet hauntingly familiar.
It’s simple to tweak and sounds way better than it’s cost would suggest.

But I get it…. 😎

Yes I had it for a spell. I actually had that and MX5 at the same time shooting them out as a backup solution and I sent back the MX5. The Nux MG-30 got sold about a month ago. Really like the 1987x Plexi in it.

Back