Boss IR-200

KingsXJJ

Roadie
Just got delivered and waiting at the house. After work I plan to test drive it and see if it gives me the tones I had hoped for from the Iridium. Woot!

giphy.gif

little hot around 2.5k like most boss stuff. Attempting to dial in.

voices on IR’s seem promising for taming stuff…

Last edited:
Is AIRD the difference here? Feel like I need a global HF roll off to hit GT-1K tones or even Katana Artist.

That’s with headphones or monitors… HS-8’s. Otherwise ok.

I just need the standard 2.0-2.5kHz cut of 2-3 dB with moderate Q. with a resonance knob to boost and a presence knob to cut. Personal IR’s may help. I guess mic voice/adjustment approximates mic position. But until a given legend exists for the sporadic dial…

First, I prefer “mic position” such as -15-0. Zero position being right on axis. Negative… increasingly off axis.
Next, “Mic distance” like 2.5cm. to 8m. With adjustable ambience, EQ, phase.

Again, adjustable global HF shelf roll off please. LF too, while we’re at it.

Last edited:
Well after tweaking the Boss IR-200, I got it close. Over headphones, the surround sound setting went a great way towards softening the harsh highs I heard. After getting it somewhat near where I liked it on patches for the 1959, X-Drive and Bogner…

I switched to my Ampli-Firebox MkII. It crushed the Boss. Not even close.

The Boss needs adjustable power amp settings like bias and excursion plus sag. A better IR management settings group with LF and HF roll offs. Resonance and Presence on the amps too. IMO the Ampli-Firebox and Nux Amp academy offer better tones.

Sadly. Sending it back. Shaddap @JiveTurkey

Well after tweaking the Boss IR-200, I got it close. Over headphones, the surround sound setting went a great way towards softening the harsh highs I heard. After getting it somewhat near where I liked it on patches for the 1959, X-Drive and Bogner…

I switched to my Ampli-Firebox MkII. It crushed the Boss. Not even close.

The Boss needs adjustable power amp settings like bias and excursion plus sag. A better IR management settings group with LF and HF roll offs. Resonance and Presence on the amps too. IMO the Ampli-Firebox and Nux Amp academy offer better tones.

Sadly. Sending it back. Shaddap @JiveTurkey
I wish Strymon would release a V2 Iridium with either a fourth high gain Channel or secondary functions with adjustable boosts.
The GT-1K core is much better than the IR-200.

I wish Strymon would release a V2 Iridium with either a fourth high gain Channel or secondary functions with adjustable boosts.
The GT-1K core is much better than the IR-200.

I’m curious where they take the Iridium platform.

I’d love to see them release a large enclosure v2, and add a handful of high gain channels, reverbs, and delays. (Or just go all-in with a kitchen sink multi fx unit with 10-15 amps.)

it would make sense to have a V2 that picks up where the punch leaves off like a Punch ++. , Modern Hi Gain , boutique Clean

so Hot Rodded 800, Two Rock , SLO/510/ recto

it would make sense to have a V2 that picks up where the punch leaves off like a Punch ++. , Modern Hi Gain , boutique Clean

so Hot Rodded 800, Two Rock , SLO/510/ recto
Modern high gain and Hot Rodded 800 gets my vote. Two variants of each four channels.

You realize they'd have to listen to their existing models and realize they sound like garbage compared to every other modern platform. Which will never happen so just stay full-blown ostrich and stick with the X-Crunch.

You realize they'd have to listen to their existing models and realize they sound like garbage compared to every other modern platform. Which will never happen so just stay full-blown ostrich and stick with the X-Crunch.
I wish it had X-Crunch…. 😏

The funny thing is, I’m keeping the GT Pocket. I can actually get tones out of it that don’t hurt my ears. The Bluetooth app is neato too.

Reactions: JT
Boss is so weird with their products.

The IR-200 has some improvements over the GT-1000 Core (like more IR slots and better loading), but then they removed a bunch of the amp models for no reason. On the flip side, something like the DD-500 has a bunch of delay models that aren't included on the GT-1000 Core. And I would love to have something like an RV-200 but it's not available.

Reactions: JT
I know this might fall on flat ears. But the Nux Amp Academy really is a sweet contender. Add in an FX loop and aux in… sweet pactice box at $199. Recent firmware sweetens the pot.

Back