Blackstar Amped 2

Absolutely with you on that one. I'm all for as much WYSIWYG as possible (main reason why I went back to a pedalboard with smaller, individual modelers from a Helix Floor).
Yet, they could possible offer presets as in, say, a loopswitcher based system, just saving the on/off status of things.

Also, not exactly related (as this unit doesn't seem to be made for me anyway), for me to personally get interested, I'd rather like to see some smaller encoders and additional functions, such as a boost and/or EQ. Might be completely different for other folks, but personally, I need exactly 4 sounds to get through pretty much any gig: (1) bone dry clean(-ish) rhythm, (2) bone dry driven rhythm, (3) wet clean(-ish) lead, (4) wet driven lead. Anything else are niceties I may like to use, so being able to add them easily is cool (Amped 2 gets a "check" regarding that, as there's 9V outlets and an FX loop), but I don't need them. Any unit delivering those very 4 sounds with an option to add things easily, will peak my interest.
There are plenty of devices out there with no menu diving that have presets. Simple as can be. Shift-press and hold to save, etc....

There are plenty of devices out there with no menu diving that have presets. Simple as can be. Shift-press and hold to save, etc....
Of course it could have presets if Blackstar so desired - Amped-1 allows for a single preset that overrides the manual controls when engaged.

Clearly a conscious decision by Blackstar not to include them on the Amped-2 - you may not agree with it, and that's fine, but I completely get the reasons why they wouldn't want to support them on a device with many more controls than the Amped-1.

But they're usually not WYSIWYG. Such as the Amplifirebox or Amp Academy (both on my pedalboard). No information about any parameter settings is a strict no go for me (and I only use the two for one single sound each, reflected by the pots).

But they're usually not WYSIWYG. Such as the Amplifirebox or Amp Academy (both on my pedalboard). No information about any parameter settings is a strict no go for me (and I only use the two for one single sound each, reflected by the pots).
The little screen shows each setting when you move it.

I'm more interested in the Amped 1 as a straight up flat power amp. Shame they didn't also offer that setting on the Amped 2, but I can see why they didn't bother.

Last edited:
I'm more interested in the Amped 1 as a straight up flat power amp. Shame they didn't also offer that setting on the Amped 2, but I can see why they didn't bother.

I have the Amped-1 and I think it is great as a flat power amp.

PXL_20230202_103424366.MP.jpg

I have the amped1 and the amped2. I live gig more than anything and this is what I've found so far.

Amped1 is a great tool as a main power amp in tandem with any other pedals you may already have. I personally use it with my Headrush Pedalboard and I have had great results so far.

Amped2, while capable of live gigging, isn't as versatile and doesn't really cover my needs. That being said, I think the tones that are produced right out of the box are incredible. With all the talk of not being able to save presets, I tried it with a midi controller. The issue which has already been touched on in this thread, is that the values cannot be changed when toggling through different midi channels resulting in pretty significant parameter jumps within the dry/wet options.

Overall, I love the packaging of these products and think that Blackstar is almost there for an all-purpose pedal board that can be gigged with. I saw the picture for the Amped3 and dug around a bit for information, so whenever that is released, I'll most likely be making that purchase also.

Good real-world feedback. Thanks for sharing. And welcome to the forum!
Thank you. I've found a bunch of info on the AMPED3 (except a release date) and I've been hounding Blackstar about it. Of course they can't divulge any information. I'd post the pictures I have, but I already know they'd be taken down. Evidently there are a couple trial models floating around out there, but they are impossible to get a hold of.

If the Amped 1 had a 4ohm tap; I'd be open to giving it a go. Unfortunately; I have no 8 ohm cabs so that kind of seals that deal.

If the Amped 1 had a 4ohm tap; I'd be open to giving it a go. Unfortunately; I have no 8 ohm cabs so that kind of seals that deal.

That stuff drives me crazy; so many manufacturers don't offer 4 ohm taps - I'm looking at you Orange Amps! Orange seems pathologically averse to 4 ohms at times.

• 100%
Reactions: JT
That stuff drives me crazy; so many manufacturers don't offer 4 ohm taps - I'm looking at you Orange Amps! Orange seems pathologically averse to 4 ohms at times.

Yup. Just went through this in my Reactive Load search. JFC! :facepalm

I had to give up on finding anything with a 4OHM tap, let alone a 2 OHM one so I could use
my Super Reverb.

So, this thread made me join up :) Ello to everyone. I have been a Blackstar artist for a few years, but, been using a BluGuitar Amp1 Iridium for a while, but, they made me a wicked offer, and, here we are (and yes I have a SpongeBob bib in the studio haha)

Short Version really, on translating them into normal talk haha

Amped 1 - Power amp, for using with Headrush/Helix etc
Amped 2 - 1 channel amp (a bit styled like the Artisan), with "built in pedals" basically
Amped 3 - 4 Channel Amp, very "Series One" like

So, a friend of mine in a US band got an amped 2 recently, loved it. I play in a few band, my main one, I am a 1 tone guy haha, so hey, but, I need some others in a couple others (including tremolo, which this has). So, they gave me a Dept 10 Dual Distortion as well, so, I can chain it, get the valve drive/crunch/distortion from that (Its VERY Series One sounding, and, I loved my Series One, so works for me). And, it then gives me 4 channels too. And the always nice ISF option

Its pretty clever, the "presets" are for when you direct out via cab rig, and mainly around cabs/mics, but, I think you can do things with the fx, not sure, not my thing :) It DOES sound brilliant for recording that way it has to be said.
If you connect it with the USBc/Thunderbolt connection then, it can also be an audio interface, and pretty much latency free recording, pretty useful too

Didn't take too long to dial in a sound or 2, I went with what I used to do on the S1, and, works

I saw someone mention support being poor, never had that problem, so, if anyone does, feel free to message me and I can put them in touch with someone who can help am sure. UK or US only though

As a sidenote, the Bluguitar twin cab is amazing, and weighs less than your average Marshall head! Getting older and lazier so this rig works

J
Edit, forgot to mention that while the drive section is like a pedal, there are options, so, you can use it as a boost/screamer ;0

image0.jpeg

I just got the Amped 2.
Just starting to get familiar with how it works.
You can't save any presets, it's basically what you get is what you set it to at any given time. For me, that's fine.
I don't see it as a gigging amp.
I use it at home as an alternative to plugging my pedalboard into my head/cab. If I want to go out to jam with friends I could take the Amped 2, plug into a cab and either use the on board effects, or go through my pedalboard the same way as if I was going into my "normal" amp head. I also like the fact that it has power scaling, 100 watt, 20 watt and 1 watt.
The Amped 2 also sounds pretty good through headphones, no need to plug into a cab.
For me, personally, I like the versatility it gives me.
I know there's quite a bit of negativity out there, for whatever reason, about Blackstar products, but I've never had any issues with any of the Blackstar stuff I've owned.

Back