Blackstar Amped 2

@Whizzinby Fair comment (and funny!).

I just remembered an outlier (sorta): the Two Notes ReVolt Channel 3 is supposedly an SLO 100. Props to them?

No menus and non-endless encoders. Because those parameter jumps are fun, aren't they?

I really don't get it anymore. Analog-style 270° pots are like the most nonsensical thing in a digital environment and yet, lots of companies keep using them.

No menus and non-endless encoders. Because those parameter jumps are fun, aren't they?

I really don't get it anymore. Analog-style 270° pots are like the most nonsensical thing in a digital environment and yet, lots of companies keep using them.
Cheaper and takes less space. I agree that on a product like this the Mooer Preamp Live type approach with encoders and LED rings would be much nicer.

Cheaper and takes less space.

Not sure about the space. Think Helix-sized encoders with small but bright LEDs.
Regarding price, I wouldn't happen to know what such things cost these days, but given that the BCR2000, coming with 32 encoders and LED readouts (+30 switches) was sold for around €150-200 before production stopped (well, they're in fact more expensive new these days...), these things can't be *that* expensive.

This is supposed to behave (and be used like) an actual vanilla amp. Different strokes, different folks.

Sure, but it's programmable. And once you use it as a programmable unit, the vanilla amp approach goes out of the window instantly.
With endless encoders and LED readouts, it could be operated pretty much vanilla-style without all the downsides of vanilla knobs. Best of both worlds, really.

Sure, but it's programmable. And once you use it as a programmable unit, the vanilla amp approach goes out of the window instantly.
To be fair, the Amped-2 doesn't have presets and is only programmable using either Blackstar's Architect software, or via MIDI, and both require you to be connected to something else, which will usually have a screen which can display virtual knobs if required.

Yes, you can simulate 'presets" by sending a set of MIDI CC's to it, but in general "unconnected" use it is going to be just a vanilla amp.

To be fair, the Amped-2 doesn't have presets and is only programmable using either Blackstar's Architect software, or via MIDI, and both require you to be connected to something else, which will usually have a screen which can display virtual knobs if required.

Yes, you can simulate 'presets" by sending a set of MIDI CC's to it, but in general "unconnected" use it is going to be just a vanilla amp.

Oh, sorry, my bad then. I thought the unit was pretty much fully programmable - or well, at least sort of in a way how, say, the Amplifirebox is doing things when you use it in dual channel/patch mode.

The software has presets. Are you sure you can't hold the shift key and select one of the four presets?

The software has presets. Are you sure you can't hold the shift key and select one of the four presets?
According to the manual, for the amp and effects, the software has "local presets", but these are locally stored on your computer - not on the device itself. This is different to the Amped-1, which does have a single "preset", you can switch to/from using the preset footswitch.

The "Hold: Shift" button is used to set values for:

• Fuzz Bias
  • Modulation Time Division
  • Delay Time Division
  • Presence

For the Cab Rig cab emulation, you can load three different presets for the cabinet emulation, but these aren't editable on the device as none of the knobs on the device adjusts these settings.

According to the manual, for the amp and effects, the software has "local presets", but these are locally stored on your computer - not on the device itself. This is different to the Amped-1, which does have a single "preset", you can switch to/from using the preset footswitch.

The "Hold: Shift" button is used to set values for:

• Fuzz Bias
  • Modulation Time Division
  • Delay Time Division
  • Presence

For the Cab Rig cab emulation, you can load three different presets for the cabinet emulation, but these aren't editable on the device as none of the knobs on the device adjusts these settings.

Wait. Wut? There are no onboard user presets? Only WYSIWYG?

That's almost worse than the lack of endless encoders (had there been presets, of course).
Might however still be worth the asking price in case you need the actual amplification part.

Fwiw, anybody knows whether you could route the speaker simulation to the speaker out? That way, you could as well plug into a passive "FRFR" cab.

GARBAGE CONFIRMED

Sesame Street Television GIF

JT waking up in the morning waiting.

This can't be true. What if you hold those four switches? Tap for effect, hold for preset?

I'm just astonished at their lack of insight with this. It's unimaginable.
To be fair, personally I think it is a deliberate choice, and one that I personally agree with on a device that doesn't have rotary encoders and/or a screen.

With my Catalyst amp, I only ever user the manual mode, because I simply prefer to see where the controls are, and the same applies to my Amped-1, which ironically does support a single preset you can switch to! ;)

To be fair, personally I think it is a deliberate choice, and one that I personally agree with on a device that doesn't have rotary encoders and/or a screen.

Absolutely with you on that one. I'm all for as much WYSIWYG as possible (main reason why I went back to a pedalboard with smaller, individual modelers from a Helix Floor).
Yet, they could possible offer presets as in, say, a loopswitcher based system, just saving the on/off status of things.

Also, not exactly related (as this unit doesn't seem to be made for me anyway), for me to personally get interested, I'd rather like to see some smaller encoders and additional functions, such as a boost and/or EQ. Might be completely different for other folks, but personally, I need exactly 4 sounds to get through pretty much any gig: (1) bone dry clean(-ish) rhythm, (2) bone dry driven rhythm, (3) wet clean(-ish) lead, (4) wet driven lead. Anything else are niceties I may like to use, so being able to add them easily is cool (Amped 2 gets a "check" regarding that, as there's 9V outlets and an FX loop), but I don't need them. Any unit delivering those very 4 sounds with an option to add things easily, will peak my interest.

Back