Bill Frisell live

Boudoir Guitar

Rock Star
His trio in a sub-1000 seat opera house.

Not gonna lie, it got off to a bit of a rough start for me. Mellow groove for about 7 minutes that was fine and then 10 minutes of what seemed like three guys on stage independently trying to see who could make the most musical sounding cacophony? The last half of the show, however, was like "take me.to a higher plane of existence" level good. At his best, for me, Bill Frissell is like Monet with melody, taking something like Wildwood Flower and abstracting it in a way that it's still very recognizable, but warmer and exaggerated in a way that ignores filler and distills the perfection. Some random notes:

Old DL4 still a pretty special piece of gear. As is a tele and Deluxe Reverb.

Can't believe he has managed to find a bass player that is even more bookishly awkward than he is.

He did the encore on what I first thought was a mandocaster but on further inspection was just a tiny 6-string tele, seemingly in std. tuning.

It's amazing how powerful 10-12 minutes of live music can be. It was a really gross, rainy night and I'd had a rough week. I was soaked and cold by the time I got home, was almost nodding off at times through first 30 minutes of the show, was super annoyed by the 6'5" dude next to me (opera house seating...so like old school movie theatre seats) that smelled heavily of alcohol and was rocking slightly off beat, etc., but all of that was wiped away and my week transformed by about 15 minutes of beautiful live music in a great sounding room.

You saw one of the greats (in my book)…nice.
Did you check Julian Lage yet? Highly recommended
There are bits of Lage that I like, but he can also be hyper notey for me. Love his duets with Chris Aldridge. I saw him yeeeeeeeeeeears ago when he was a student at Berkeley. Had no idea who he was. Peter Rowan was playing in Cambridge and I went to see him - I guess he knew Julian or something, cause he had him play guitar in his band for that gig and you could tell there was some raport. He played stuff that was ABSOLUTELY appropriate for a Peter Rowan gig - stuff that fit the song perfect and wasn't trying to show off his chops or anything. It was a year or two later that I saw some fretboard journal clips and was like "hey! That's the kid that played with Rowan when I saw him!"

Back