Best wireless guitar options that don't break the bank?

Received this from Amazon a couple of days ago.

1000001111.jpg

Have about 3 hours of playtime with them and they are fantastic in my home environment with 3 mesh routers, 20+ wifi devices, and a Bluetooth home automation network. No noise or dropouts. Super satisfied with this $50 investment.

Does anyone find the combined latency with other digital devices to be problematic?
It is very personal, but I stopped using wireless because the 3-4 ms latency, added to that of the modeler (including one fx loop) started becoming slightly noticeable (certainly not problematic). The other thing with wireless is that it changes input impedance, which may affect the way some effects sound (mostly wah and fuzz).

I am still using wireless during soundcheck though (I am running the band’s sound and need to hear from the audience perspective), and may however re-evaluate all this. Sometimes I think I am a bit too fussy about tone and latency, it seems to be a common guitarist issue…

Does anyone find the combined latency with other digital devices to be problematic?
It can be. The following with my Boss WT-20L (2.4ms latency):
  • BluGuitar Amp 1 ME (analog hybrid). Not noticeable.
  • Axe-Fx 3. I think it's something like 2.2ms latency. Not noticeable.
  • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen with a 64 sample buffer. Logic Pro reports 8.9ms roundtrip latency. Not an issue when using a cable, but add the wireless and it becomes noticeable especially when playing fast.
  • My whole Strymon pedalboard with all pedals turned on. If each pedal is about 1ms latency and we ignore the analog dry-through pedals (delay/reverb), this is about 4ms latency. The wireless is not IMO really noticeable.
So for me it's that about 10ms barrier where I feel like my experience has been degraded. You do adapt to it, so it would not be a "I can't play because the latency is too high" thing, but it does feel worse.

If I compare to just a cable into e.g the BluGuitar or Axe-Fx, I can tell a difference when using the wireless, it's just pretty unnoticeable that it's a non issue compared to getting the wireless functionality. Similarly when I used real amps + Helix Floor, plugging the Helix into the rig caused a difference, but in the tradeoff I got a huge load of fx so it was fine.

Bought BOSS WT-20L. Constant drop outs. Like guitar is 1 meter away from receiver. Don't recommend.
changes input impedance, which may affect the way some effects sound (mostly wah and fuzz).
there are pedals to debuffer signal for example DS Custom FFB

Received this from Amazon a couple of days ago.

View attachment 17585

Have about 3 hours of playtime with them and they are fantastic in my home environment with 3 mesh routers, 20+ wifi devices, and a Bluetooth home automation network. No noise or dropouts. Super satisfied with this $50 investment.

I’ve noticed the odd click or noise, but it’s infrequent and short. Not enough to worry about for me. I probably wouldn’t use it to record though.

I haven’t honestly noticed additionally latency. I’m really close to the receiver though.

Bought BOSS WT-20L. Constant drop outs. Like guitar is 1 meter away from receiver. Don't recommend.
For me it's been quite reliable. I can walk even to the other end of my apartment and it still works with plenty of walls in between.

I’ve only had a few minutes with the WS-50 since it arrived yesterday, but so far no negatives stand out.

I didn’t notice any tonal change, noise, interference, or added latency. If anything it’s a little quieter than my wired setup. Go figure.

We will see how things go longer term, but I was semi expecting a wall of interference in my 5.8gHz loaded home.

Back