Best pickups for modern Rock

I have heard they are great too the problem is there are just to many options
Mules are Alnico 2 right so more like the Slash or EVH Frankie’s

Yup. A2s tend to = mushy on the wound strings with modern rock levels of gain. :idk

I play a similar style of tunes in a band with lots of drop tuning and get by with an
Duncan JB. :sofa

That and I am too busy (or too lazy :facepalm ) to swap out Pups these days. Done it dozens
of times and I get fatigued just thinking about it. :LOL:

I have heard they are great too the problem is there are just to many options
Mules are Alnico 2 right so more like the Slash or EVH Frankie’s

Alnico IV. Interesting magnet choice but I dig it. The voicing itself isn’t too far removed from the Shaws in my 85 Standard but the bridge has a bit more heat. Sounds great with my Marshall style amps and with my Orange it’s perfect for Clutch tones.

Ay! What are clutch tones?
Sexy Cbs GIF by Paramount+

Yup. A2s tend to = mushy on the wound strings with modern rock levels of gain. :idk

I play a similar style of tunes in a band with lots of drop tuning and get by with an
Duncan JB. :sofa

That and I am too busy (or too lazy :facepalm ) to swap out Pups these days. Done it dozens
of times and I get fatigued just thinking about it. :LOL:
Oddly enough the EVH pickups I think are A2 and they sound great to my ears

The AT-1 is a nice pickup. It's pretty thick in the low end without being too dark. Has some nice upper midrange bite too.

The AT-1 is a nice pickup. It's pretty thick in the low end without being too dark. Has some nice upper midrange bite too.
I had read it kind of Tone Zone / Norton cross
Closest pickup to the EBMM proprietary pickups according to Dimarzio
I have used a tonezone for years in my RG custom and it was / is great in that guitar

I had read it kind of Tone Zone / Norton cross
Closest pickup to the EBMM proprietary pickups according to Dimarzio
I have used a tonezone for years in my RG custom and it was / is great in that guitar
Yeah I figure since you're used to the Tone Zone the AT might be a good change without being too drastic of a change.

I'm really liking my Tonerider Alnico IV classics
I put in the bridge position of my Revstar its what I was looking for that I did not get with Alnico V I had before

On the other hand my Ibby has some custom SD Hyperion Alnico V which I'm able to get a really close Early VH tone from

:idk

Last edited:
Oddly enough the EVH pickups I think are A2 and they sound great to my ears

That's cool you like them. :beer

It is pretty much established fact, though, that A2 is not as tight and percussive as A5.
Science of magnetic pulls and all that jazz. :idk Doesn't mean some people won't like them.

Here's a pretty decent piece below on the sonic impact of the various magnet types. Obviously,
something Ceramic will be tighter than most anything AlNiCo. Kind of the same deal with speakers
and their magnets. AlNiCo speakers will always be squishier than a Ceramic. Kind of what they do.
The squish/sag/spring of various magnet types works on a sliding scale in pickups. That's why there
are different magnet types---they all do something different to the resonant peak relative to their
magnetic pull.

Output and windings can factor into the equation, too. Just that a magnet makeup's constitution
will have an objective impact regardless of what people think their magnetic pull does or does not
accomplish.

Last edited:
I don’t know the polymaths sound pretty damn good to me, and can we not say the riffs this man comes up with are crazy good , everyone talks about Rabea but Nolly is really and amazing player and writer less flash and just really catchy riffage

All those are good choices.

I like Suhr pickups a lot so I would start with an SSH in the bridge and SSV in the neck. Medium hot bridge, vintage neck, alnico 5, reasonable prices.

Other cool options would be the Dimarzio Fortitude and PAF 36th combo, Seymour Duncan 59/Custom Hybrid and 59 or Jazz neck, or anything else you mentioned.

All those are good choices.

I like Suhr pickups a lot so I would start with an SSH in the bridge and SSV in the neck. Medium hot bridge, vintage neck, alnico 5, reasonable prices.

Other cool options would be the Dimarzio Fortitude and PAF 36th combo, Seymour Duncan 59/Custom Hybrid and 59 or Jazz neck, or anything else you mentioned.
Ya the Fortitude sounds like it might be the closest to BKP clarity , I will probably do something stupid in the neck
Like a Fralin or a Duckbucker
I basically want to be able to play post grunge rock and Bro country .. not by choice 😂

Last edited:
Back