Best Option in 2023

I'm a home player and I currently own a Helix and two HX Stomps, and a Tonemaster Pro. I also used to own an FM3, an FM9, and a Quad Cortex.

Currently, the TMP is the most "incomplete" of all the listed units, but it isn't in a bad place, and is probably "better" than the Quad Cortex was at launch - I am waiting to see what the next major firmware update brings (and when) before making a decision on whether or not to keep it.

That being said, to be honest, you can't really go far wrong with any of them - personally I could get the tones I wanted out of any of them, but ultimately simply preferred the Helix workflow over the units I sold.

For a non-gigging home player, I would suggest that the best bang-for-buck proposition of the units I've listed is an HX Stomp or Stomp XL, along with the Helix Native plugin, which is simply one of the best and most complete plugins you can buy, especially with the massive discount that comes with buying *new* HX hardware (secondhand, caveat emptor!).

The recent Helix 3.70 update and the existence of the HX One should give you confidence that the Helix ecosystem isn't going anywhere anytime soon!

^ 100%

Helix 2015:
Helix 2015.jpg

Helix 2023:
Helix 2023.jpg

Back