Best Mesa Mark Tones

MirrorProfiles

Shredder
We’ve all heard the Metallica and Dream Theater tones a billion times, but if there is a particular moment or song from them that’s worth of posting, crank on. There’s some 80’s stuff that sounds great with them but I’m not familiar enough to know which albums used them (Sykes/Stryper etc). I’m not sure Lamb of God’s tone is good, even though it’s distinctive and works for them….

Last edited:
i think Prince used a iic+ on purple rain? AC/DC had those big mesa racks on the live album i thought sounded great. other than that i think you listed all the known ones and besides them i cant really think of many others. Stryper definitely kicked ass and had the most over the top videos ever

I know one of the Merauder dudes used a mark live, their tone definitely has some mark dna so I’m gonna guess it was used

I believe this album is Mark IV:

Forgot about this!!!

Most likely a lot of Mark III, but he had the IV’s by then. I went down this rabbit hole a while ago, turns out some FNM/Boogie fans already did as well-

But here’s a take away from an interview that sums it up-

While in his days in Faith No More Jim was a reputed Marshall man he has seen the light and switched to Mesa Boogie. "My amps are Mesa Boogie. I use the Mark 3 for recording, and I have two Mark 4's for road work. The Mark 3 sounds better, more balls somehow. The Mark 4's are better for live work because they have more channels, more versatility."

You can see both amps all over the Angel Dust session interviews. At 38:55 you can see him plugged into a rack with I think a IV and some power amps, dicking with his Eventide.

Found this old Guitar World interview:

GW: What kind of rig did you use on the album?

MARTIN: It was basically the same as my live setup. I run my V through a Morley Power Wah fuzz—the old-style 110-volt one—an Eventide H3000S Ultra-Harmonizer and a little delay into a Mesa/Boogie Mark IV to four Marshall cabinets. It's good enough for now, but I'm always changing it in some little way. I think that the whole thing is over if you're ever completely satisfied with your guitar sound. My only major change since the last tour is that I-used Marshalls instead of the Mesa, but I blew an amp and it just hasn't been the same since the repair.

That doesn’t mean I have to enjoy his tone. Or playing.

There’s not a lot of players I don’t enjoy, or bands. The Beatles, Sublime, Santana. Let me have those. :rofl

Haha! Not what I was suggesting. Just pointing out that what came later may have
never come later without some credit being due where it is due. Same with The Beatles. :idk

I think unintended consequences of innovation and evolution is a cool subject. What one
thing is originally intended for can be used for something else, and then become infamous
for those later uses, and not the original use.

Trey Anastasio is like one of the few guys who uses a Mark like Carlos. Meanwhile, those
amps have been used for entirely different purposes than single note weedly weedly over
a "groove." Kind of cool if you ask me.

1708142136720.png

Last edited:
Back