Beato interviews Thornley

There was once a time when I would have paid to have her choke me unconscious.
Over and over again.

There was just that something about her......

:pee

26o2hwzg6p1c1.png

These are my top 2 Big Wreck jams

Also got to see them in December at a little venue in Phoenix. Great show.
View attachment 19212

View attachment 19213

Whenever I show other guitarists Big Wreck, I show them “Ghosts” first then “A Million Days” after. That solo in “Ghosts” is just so damn good, it almost tricks you into thinking it’ll be a traditional blues solo and then NOPE!

So went back through some of Pleasure and Greed last night. I can see why I sort of shied away from it. It's not bad at all. It's quite good. But the hooks are so....um; melodically all over the place? Or just obtuse and not easy to grasp despite being super melodic? I don't know how to describe it.

Listen to Undersold for example. Kind of a "heavier" vibe in the chorus with so much unexpected melodic movement. It's a great song but just hard to grab onto. Breakthrough is cool.

When they were (I believe) wrapping up their Pleasure and Greed tour they did a few “symphony” shows across Canada. I was lucky enough to catch them in Edmonton at the Winspear Center (phenomenal concert hall) with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra, Uzume Taiko (a Japanese drum troupe), Colin James, Tom Wilson (both pseudo Canadian music royalty) and Eric Johnson.

An absolutely amazing show that is probably still top 5 for me.

When they were (I believe) wrapping up their Pleasure and Greed tour they did a few “symphony” shows across Canada. I was lucky enough to catch them in Edmonton at the Winspear Center (phenomenal concert hall) with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra, Uzume Taiko (a Japanese drum troupe), Colin James, Tom Wilson (both pseudo Canadian music royalty) and Eric Johnson.

An absolutely amazing show that is probably still top 5 for me.

And in the rehearsals for those shows one of my favorite EJ stories was born; Ian told it on Andy Wood’s channel last year-

During rehearsals EJ mentioned to his tech he heard something rattling in his rig but no one else could hear it, everyone is playing half stacks and it’s all loud as hell. Everyone goes to dinner and EJ stay behind to sort out the rattling and Ian sticks around to observe EJ being EJ. EJ then starts removing all the screws from the back of his 4x12, pushing them into a piece of cardboard so he can put them back in the exact same holes and finds a random screw floating around his cab. Puts the back back on, problem solved.

Kinda like the story from Howard Kaplan or James Brown about sending Eddie 5 different heads that were all supposed to be the same, Ed starts arguing one sounds better than the rest so they bring the amp to the show and find out one different pot was used in the preamp on the head Ed liked the most.

So went back through some of Pleasure and Greed last night. I can see why I sort of shied away from it. It's not bad at all. It's quite good. But the hooks are so....um; melodically all over the place? Or just obtuse and not easy to grasp despite being super melodic? I don't know how to describe it.

Listen to Undersold for example. Kind of a "heavier" vibe in the chorus with so much unexpected melodic movement. It's a great song but just hard to grab onto. Breakthrough is cool.

Yup. I feel like Ian could use a trusty editor/producer that helps him tighten things
up a bit. :idk

Maybe that is what Thornley was supposed to be, but turned out like Nickelback's
second cousin. :LOL:

He's a legend. He needs no advice from me. I just haven't heard a complete album
that stands on par with some of the work of his/their contemporaries, to my ears.

Yup. I feel like Ian could use a trusty editor/producer that helps him tighten things
up a bit. :idk

He's a legend. He needs no advice from me. I just haven't heard a complete album
that stands on par with some of the work of his/their contemporaries, to my ears.
100%. That first album really does it for me. It may be simpler and maybe more obviously derivative but the songs are just a lot easier to love for me.

Back