Beato interviews Thornley

JiveTurkey

Goatlord
TGF Recording Artist

Watched half last night; will get to the rest this evening.

Some random observations:
This dude's voice, playing and songwriting have always been off the charts. I don't always like their music as a whole as I wish they would have take a heavier direction over the years. But that's neither here nor there. Dude is killer. That first Big Wreck album is :love:love:love Kind of a Pumpkins if they wanted to be Zepplin and STP have a baby (that I actually want) with a more diverse Cornell on vocals that happens to be able to tastefully shred your face off to infinity. Did I mention dude can play? I watched a few of the Thornley Suhr party performance videos and good god. Oof.

Also; his sig tele is STUPID :chef

This isn't a burner but he RIPS on that slide work. Lord.

Watched half last night; will get to the rest this evening.

Some random observations:
This dude's voice, playing and songwriting have always been off the charts. I don't always like their music as a whole as I wish they would have take a heavier direction over the years. But that's neither here nor there. Dude is killer. That first Big Wreck album is :love:love:love Kind of a Pumpkins if they wanted to be Zepplin and STP have a baby (that I actually want) with a more diverse Cornell on vocals that happens to be able to tastefully shred your face off to infinity. Did I mention dude can play? I watched a few of the Thornley Suhr party performance videos and good god. Oof.

Also; his sig tele is STUPID :chef

This isn't a burner but he RIPS on that slide work. Lord.

As much as I dislike a lot o Beato 1-on-1 with me videos...I'm not gonna lie, all of these interview vids have been KILLER. I've watched the Daniel Lanois one like 5 times

As much as I dislike a lot o Beato 1-on-1 with me videos...I'm not gonna lie, all of these interview vids have been KILLER. I've watched the Daniel Lanois one like 5 times
Agreed completely. Even when he gets outside what I think is his wheelhouse; he does pretty darn good with a wide array of guests.

Agreed completely. Even when he gets outside what I think is his wheelhouse; he does pretty darn good with a wide array of guests.
For a guy that seems in all of his other videos to really love to hear himself talk...he does a remarkably good job of leaving lots of room for the interviewee to talk. It's the opposite of the Warren Huart/Produce Like a Pro interview videos where that dude is just trying to name drop his own experience with whatever the interviewee brings up to the point that its just a video of him talking all over the person he's trying to interview.

I love these Beato interiews. Also love his What Makes This Song Great series and anything he does with Tim Pierce. I avoid the rants.

Growing up in Canada I've heard a lot of Big Wreck and certainly appreciate Thornley's abilities, but can't say I've bought an album or listened to anything on purpose. I prefer early Big Sugar, if we're talkiing great Canadian "Big" bands. :) (Also have a funny story about seeing Thornley join the latter on stage while extremely wasted, was pretty entertaining/awkward, but Gordie Johnson did not seem too pleased :grin ).

The last name spelling in thread title had me thinkng this was a Pete Thorn interview, which would be super cool, too.

I actually thought they were trying too hard to be extra heavy on The Pleasure and the Greed.
Albatross really showed the band's sweet spots IMO.
Ehh man I always feel like they have that dreamy alt-rock thing sewn up so tight that I would love to hear them actually let loose a bit.
I love these Beato interiews. Also love his What Makes This Song Great series and anything he does with Tim Pierce. I avoid the rants.

Growing up in Canada I've heard a lot of Big Wreck and certainly appreciate Thornley's abilities, but can't say I've bought an album or listened to anything on purpose. I prefer early Big Sugar, if we're talkiing great Canadian "Big" bands. :) (Also have a funny story about seeing Thornley join the latter on stage while extremely wasted, was pretty entertaining/awkward, but Gordie Johnson did not seem too pleased :grin ).

The last name spelling in thread title had me thinkng this was a Pete Thorn interview, which would be super cool, too.
Fixed the spelling for you :grin

This band hit me with this right here

Then these from that same album

Then this

^Live clip is awesome up above but the feels hitting on this one is just sublime.

I honestly don't need to hear anything else after these. Mainly because they are GOAT tier songs and offer all I ever wanted from the band. I am super locked into this particular CD on a number of levels but never matched that same feeling on their other stuff. With no disrespect meant to it because I get it completely.

Ehh man I always feel like they have that dreamy alt-rock thing sewn up so tight that I would love to hear them actually let loose a bit.

Fixed the spelling for you :grin

This band hit me with this right here

Then these from that same album

Then this

^Live clip is awesome up above but the feels hitting on this one is just sublime.

I honestly don't need to hear anything else after these. Mainly because they are GOAT tier songs and offer all I ever wanted from the band. I am super locked into this particular CD on a number of levels but never matched that same feeling on their other stuff. With no disrespect meant to it because I get it completely.

For sure, That Song and The Oaf are really great tracks. Love the Who-vibe of The Oaf's intro, especially, mixed with Zeppelin-y acoustic/electric riffage. :chef

Out of curiosity, did you hear them in the U.S., at the time they were new? Or through their more recent Suhr-connected online surge in guitar forum popularity? Just not sure how much airplay they got outside of Canada, back in those days.

For sure, That Song and The Oaf are really great tracks. Love the Who-vibe of The Oaf's intro, especially, mixed with Zeppelin-y acoustic/electric riffage. :chef

Out of curiosity, did you hear them in the U.S., at the time they were new? Or through their more recent Suhr-connected online surge in guitar forum popularity? Just not sure how much airplay they got outside of Canada, back in those days.
I heard them back around when that album came out. I saw a video from Much Music by them? "Tht Song" hooked me IMMEDIATELY. TBH; I am not clear htf I heard them through that channel? Unless we had a MuchMusic channel on the satellite sub we had at the time? I am betting that's it. I bought that cd the PLeasure and Greed when it came out and kinda lost my love as far as new stuff goes.

I first heard them with “The Oaf” in ‘96 or ‘97, my dad and I both loved the shit out of that song. Then I didn’t hear the name Big Wreck at all until the Suhr stuff started popping up and I was a bit confused, not knowing Ian was the beast he was. I saw the video for “A Million Days” and saw him shredding it up in between some Cornell-esque vocals and fell in love.

WAAF in Boston used to play the shit out of them because the Berklee connection.

He's more like Richie Kotzen, to me, than Cornell. I get the vocal comparisons, though. :chef

He is a legend. Very clear he has some kind of obsessive quality with music that is probably
what makes him such a Giant, and is also a bit problematic for those not quite as obsessed.

My first exposure was when I was dating a gal from Mississauga, Ontario... who shared with
me a Thornley CD. I believe it was Ian's solo project post Big Wreck. :idk

My first thought back then was, "Oh great.... another Nickelback from the Canuckers." :LOL:

He's more like Richie Kotzen, to me, than Cornell. I get the vocal comparisons, though. :chef

He is a legend. Very clear he has some kind of obsessive quality with music that is probably
what makes him such a Giant, and is also a bit problematic for those not quite as obsessed.

My first exposure was when I was dating a gal from Mississauga, Ontario... who shared with
me a Thornley CD. I believe it was Ian's solo project post Big Wreck. :idk

My first thought back then was, "Oh great.... another Nickelback from the Canuckers." :LOL:

Hahahah that came a lot closer to being Nickelback than you’d think; Ian and Chad Kroeger are buddies and I believe Ian has some credits on some Nickelback albums and Chad has done some guest pots on BW stuff.

I believe he was working with Chad quite a bit during the Thornley days. There’s a couple tunes from those albums, or album, I really, really dig.

I haven’t actually listened to “So Far So Good” since before the divorce, that was the song I was listening to nonstop when I thought *I* was the one who was fucking it all up. It’s a bit more refreshing to hear from a different set of ears 3 years later. :rofl

Yeah, my first impression was not good. She hipped me to a lot of cool Canadian music I had
no familiarity with, which was very cool. I do recall her playing the Thornley and me being all
"Meh.... Theory Of A Deadman 2.0."

:rofl

Yeah, my first impression was not good. She hipped me to a lot of cool Canadian music I had
no familiarity with, which was very cool. I do recall her playing the Thornley and me being all
"Meh.... Theory Of A Deadman 2.0."

:rofl

I’m quite certain that’s exactly what they were going for, they just got a hell of a writer/musician.

Ugh…..I remember when I first heard Theory Of A Deadman, there couldn’t be a bigger “We work with Chad Kroger and are absolutely trying to be Nickelback II without shame” band if Chad Kroger put it together and wrote half the material……wait….

I’m quite certain that’s exactly what they were going for, they just got a hell of a writer/musician.

Ugh…..I remember when I first heard Theory Of A Deadman, there couldn’t be a bigger “We work with Chad Kroger and are absolutely trying to be Nickelback II without shame” band if Chad Kroger put it together and wrote half the material……wait….

Haha! Totally. I heard them opening for Shinedown on Shinedown's 1st headlining Club Tour in
like 2005.

We are going in and they are playing. I can't see them yet, but can hear them as we enter
the Club. I am like, "WTF!? Nickelback is here!" :LOL:

They had some super tight harmonies live. :chef

Nope. This is Garbage.

Be Who You Are Rainbow GIF by Garbage

Back