Axe III/FM9/3: Anyone Not Tweaking Settings?

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
With so many combinations in some of these factory presets, other than adjusting a few minor parameters, when I want different sounds, I find myself with plenty to work with, by just changing channels on the blocks, and using different combinations of effects other than the ones already set up in the scenes.

Like, in the Petrucci Rig 2023 from Gift of Tone, there's 4 delays already set up, the amp has 3 channels, the phaser & drive blocks aren't even in any scenes, so you could just turn on either of those, etc.

I mean, you've got plenty to work with before you even bother to change settings! And many other presets are the same way.

If it sounds good, I just don't do much with parameters, which up until getting the Axe III, I would've never thought to use a piece of gear in this manner! Like on a Recto preset, I just switch scenes, if one amp model isn't doing it for me. Usually that gets me close enough, and then I go about turning on/off other blocks. Maybe this is just a testament to how well the factory presets have been set up. :unsure:

What about you? And this could apply to other brands as well I suppose; I just don't know much about the workflow of those. So if you've got one and feel like sharing whether you use it in a similar manner, this doesn't have to be just about the Fractal gear.

A lot of the defaults in the Fractal fx blocks are pretty good. Drive, amp, cab...all those need adjustments.

I don't bother with other people's presets except for inspiration. I don't play like them, I don't use the same guitars, same output systems in the same situations so it's very likely someone else's preset is not going to work for me. Goes for factory presets too.

The urge to deep tweak is not needed on the sounds. It's the urge to tweak because it's there that pulls me in. Still on track (if it sticks around) to nuke all the presets and have like 4 loaded on the device and call it "good".

I'm starting to build out a library of blocks for this purpose. Except I actually haven't played much guitar through the Axe 3 because I've been focused on writing and recording. It's funny how tone starts to be less important when you have other stuff to worry about.

if all you do is tweak go back to a super simple setup especially if you have deadlines you need to hit or feel that you aren't being productive. i have times at home where I'm just looking to waste time or actually try everything in the box because sometimes good things actually come from trial and lots of errors but by far the vast majority of times i plug in and play without really touching anything.

especially with the band i plug in and maybe adjust for like the first 2 mins but then really try not to touch it again so i can focus on what we need to get done, constantly tweaking when you are playing with others is almost like trying to have a conversation with someone glued to their phone. i do like that the helix doesn't have all the deep dives and extra sub menus, when i had the ax8 i remember those could be a time suck if you let them.

Yeah tis all done, Frank sent me a unit! :love

Helix + amps is just a really hard combo to break. Axe does it, but isn't as immediate. TBH, I'd love Helix + Axe in a 8U rack, but that'd be stupid overkill tbh wouldn't it!!
Totally have been on the verge of a 8 rack helix axe Fx .....very close many times lol

That's great to hear they got you set up so quick! Was your unit new or used?

As For me in the Helix have to say ive owned now going on 2 years and Ive never once sampled or used any of the factory presets
i like to make my own so yeah its a lot of experimenting, but i enjoy it and i learn a lot as i experiment

I'm starting to build out a library of blocks for this purpose. Except I actually haven't played much guitar through the Axe 3 because I've been focused on writing and recording. It's funny how tone starts to be less important when you have other stuff to worry about.
The library thing is a great feature and once you set it up and have all your drives and comps , delays and mods it makes things way easier . pull up new amp model playing a country set . go to favs MXR DynaComp , Klon, Slapback . Deluxe spring --done etc etc

With so many combinations in some of these factory presets, other than adjusting a few minor parameters, when I want different sounds, I find myself with plenty to work with, by just changing channels on the blocks, and using different combinations of effects other than the ones already set up in the scenes.

Like, in the Petrucci Rig 2023 from Gift of Tone, there's 4 delays already set up, the amp has 3 channels, the phaser & drive blocks aren't even in any scenes, so you could just turn on either of those, etc.

I mean, you've got plenty to work with before you even bother to change settings! And many other presets are the same way.

If it sounds good, I just don't do much with parameters, which up until getting the Axe III, I would've never thought to use a piece of gear in this manner! Like on a Recto preset, I just switch scenes, if one amp model isn't doing it for me. Usually that gets me close enough, and then I go about turning on/off other blocks. Maybe this is just a testament to how well the factory presets have been set up. :unsure:

What about you? And this could apply to other brands as well I suppose; I just don't know much about the workflow of those. So if you've got one and feel like sharing whether you use it in a similar manner, this doesn't have to be just about the Fractal gear.

I'm not for one second doubting your experience with your gear .... :)

From my end - I went through numerous Fractal units - 6 in total - up to the FM3 FW 6 Initial Beta .... I also bought the Austin Buddy packs ... never ever was I able to use *live* a stock preset - an updated factory preset or an AB preset without major tweaks.

Just the instant / moment I used my own preferred IR .... everything needed re-tweaking. This also applied to the Helix and the Kemper when I used my own preferred IR.

All the fractal stock and updated factory presets and AB presets "stock" were totally unusable *live* ... stupidly massive amounts lows and low mids .... no midrange grunt ... and just ridiculous amounts of high end.

Everyone's mileage will vary of course as we all hear things differently :)

All the best,
Ben

I'm not for one second doubting your experience with your gear .... :)

From my end - I went through numerous Fractal units - 6 in total - up to the FM3 FW 6 Initial Beta .... I also bought the Austin Buddy packs ... never ever was I able to use *live* a stock preset - an updated factory preset or an AB preset without major tweaks.

Just the instant / moment I used my own preferred IR .... everything needed re-tweaking. This also applied to the Helix and the Kemper when I used my own preferred IR.

All the fractal stock and updated factory presets and AB presets "stock" were totally unusable *live* ... stupidly massive amounts lows and low mids .... no midrange grunt ... and just ridiculous amounts of high end.

Everyone's mileage will vary of course as we all hear things differently :)

All the best,
Ben
Sure, no worries. The nice thing about so much of this stuff is it can be used in so many different ways.
I'm sure that my limited use has a lot to do with not running it through speakers (still!) I'm most always on headphones, so I'm sure many of the presets would need deeper edits to suit me. The few times I have run it through my amp/cabs, I can't get by with just the defaults.

I find the fractal units the only ones that the presets are usable. It is very dependent on how you are amplifying it though.

Before Cygnus 2 I was using a ton of Austin Buddy’s presets without tweaking, or I’d just bump up the treble/lower the bass a pinch to accommodate whatever guitar I was using and initially I didn’t think those presets took a big hit with Cygnus 2, but now that I’m using different guitars with it, they require a bit more tweaking.

I haven’t used the stock Fractal presets since they last updated them, I loaded them to give ‘em a shot but they all got deleted. I still have about 10 in my FM9 but it’s only the weird/synth ones that I don’t really chill on for longer than 3 minutes.

Once I dial something in I’m good to go, I can just load it and play without tweaking, but overall I need to have that time to set up some presets for each guitar because they sound so radically different from each other. Sometimes different guitars sound great with the same preset and other times it sounds like straight ass. And while I’m still learning all the tones I can get from the Les Pauls, it requires a little noodling time to find out what they’re capable of. I felt like I did that for 6 months with the Strats because there’s so many great tones in there.

tl;dr- No. I need to do some tweaking to get me at least in the ballpark.

Back