Axe FX III SPDIF louder than expected - not unity gain???

Orvillain

Rock Star
Edgelord
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what.... but I have the Axe3 connected to my Quantum via SPDIF. I'm sending a synth to the Axe3 and the peak level is -22.3dBFS as shown on Reapers meters. I then patch this through Axe Edit from Input 4 straight through to Output 2, and what I get back is a level that is -4.3dBFS - 18dB louder than the input signal.

I am not sure why this is? I would've expected in such a situation that the SPDIF signal would be unity gain ????

1687942739496.png

You can see the meters here show the level disparity.

The level on the input block is set to 0.0dB. The levels on the output block are all set to 0.0dB. The AES/SPDIF level in the I/O setup is set to 0.0dB.

Changing Output 2's level (-10 or +4) makes no difference. Using Output 1 as the digital assignment makes no difference.

1687942847130.png

1687942855312.png

Anyone have any on this??? @FractalAudio ???

Is this just by design and I should set the AES/SPDIF level to -18dB to get unity gain??

Ahhhhhhhhhhh... the plot thickenario!

GlennO says:
AFAIK, It's not documented anywhere, but outputs 1 and 2 add 18 dB to the output. So, if you set the level in the 1 and 2 output blocks to -18 dB, those outputs will work the the same as outputs 3 and 4.

So it would make sense then, if this 18dB is being applied both to the digital I/O (when assigned to output 1 or 2) as well as the analog.

Back