Auditioned some amps today

metropolis_4

Shredder
It was a really eye opening experience. Here were my big takeaways:

• The Mesa Mark sound is not my thing anymore. Played a Mark V and hated every minute of it. That dream died quick
  • I thought I would love Tone King… but I don’t. Played an Imperial and a Falcon and didn’t care for either one. They’re sooooo dark. Crazy dark.
  • Loved the Boogie California Tweed!! :love
  • Marshall Origin made me do a double take when I saw the price. Really sounded great and I couldn’t believe how cheap it was. I may be turning into a Marshall guy
  • Blackstar St James el34 really surprised me. I loved it! For that pushed clean thing it was really nice with lots of chime and a great feel.
  • Badlander + Marshall 4x12 = :love:chef:guiness:headbang:rawk:satan:beer

Also spent some time with a Carr Mercury that was all kinds of fun and some serious tonal goodness!

I don’t like saying it out loud either, but the Cali Tweed might be my favorite boogie.

I'd love to try the St. James at some point.

It surprised me. It was much better than I expected. It was a little meh for anything more than light dirt, but it was great up to that point. I’m curious what the DI sounds like

I don’t like saying it out loud either, but the Cali Tweed might be my favorite boogie.

I think it might be mine too. It’s really good. There might be one in my future

It surprised me. It was much better than I expected. It was a little meh for anything more than light dirt, but it was great up to that point. I’m curious what the DI sounds like

I think it might be mine too. It’s really good. There might be one in my future
The DI section in all the vids I've seen actually looks really cool. The dirt channel seems like a great candidate for boosting as well. There is an odd void between the two models because one isn't gainy enough and the other is either all clean or all gain. I'm still open to try it though.

Badlander + Marshall 4x12 = :love:chef:guiness:headbang:rawk:satan:beer

I've said it before, to me it's the best amp Mesa Boogie ever made. If I were pining for one I wouldn't hesitate. I've become more into the Marshall thing but especially compared to all the Mesa Boogies I have owned, the Badlander was the best of the bunch. I have played through one several times for extended periods and it just has "it". At least the 50 watter does IMO.

The DI section in all the vids I've seen actually looks really cool. The dirt channel seems like a great candidate for boosting as well. There is an odd void between the two models because one isn't gainy enough and the other is either all clean or all gain. I'm still open to try it though.

I was glad this was the one I found because it’s definitely more in my wheelhouse. One thing that worries me a little is that it almost seems like one of those amps that is designed to sound good in the store or at home alone and I’ve had experiences where those don’t sound good in a live mix. I think I’d need to go back and try it a few more times to make sure.

I know this is dumb, but being Blackstar part of me can’t help but think about those “tube” devices in the 90s where the tubes lit up but weren’t even connected to the circuit…

:sofa

I've said it before, to me it's the best amp Mesa Boogie ever made. If I were pining for one I wouldn't hesitate. I've become more into the Marshall thing but especially compared to all the Mesa Boogies I have owned, the Badlander was the best of the bunch. I have played through one several times for extended periods and it just has "it". At least the 50 watter does IMO.

I love 2 channel amps where both channels are the same. That might be my favorite thing about it compared to something like the Mark. For what I play I’ve always found that much more useful than amps with a “clean” channel and a “distortion/lead” channel

I love 2 channel amps where both channels are the same. That might be my favorite thing about it compared to something like the Mark. For what I play I’ve always found that much more useful than amps with a “clean” channel and a “distortion/lead” channel

Have you checked out a Fillmore?

I have had the 50 head for a few years now. I agree that the 2 cloned channels are a sweet feature. :beer

A little more headroom than the Cali Tweed and smoother on the top end. Also, if you like pedals
out front I feel it takes them better than the Cali. Cali is great.... but for me tends to be more of that
one trick pony that most Tweed amps are. EOB!!

I have had the 50 head for a few years now. I agree that the 2 cloned channels are a sweet feature. :beer

A little more headroom than the Cali Tweed and smoother on the top end. Also, if you like pedals
out front I feel it takes them better than the Cali. Cali is great.... but for me tends to be more of that
one trick pony that most Tweed amps are. EOB!!

Taking pedals well is a priority for me. In what way did you think the Filmore did that better than the Cali Tweed?

Taking pedals well is a priority for me. In what way did you think the Filmore did that better than the Cali Tweed?

Headroom, and a less idiosyncratic tone stack. Tweeds tend to excel at being Tweeds but can
run out of headroom fast and then the low-end starts collapsing. The Cali is not as bad at doing
that as something like a Fender '57 Tweed, but it still has that Tweed vibe. The Fillmore has more
of Blackface vibe and more headroom to handle pedals better.

I have run both a Fractal FM3 into the FX Return of the Fillmore 50, and right now have it set up with
a pedalboard (8 pedals--dirt and time-based fx) in front.

The Fillmore is not as "saggy" as a traditional Blackface, though. Has solid state rectification so
it is a bit more immediate---but not super stiff like a modern amp might be.

Headroom, and a less idiosyncratic tone stack. Tweeds tend to excel at being Tweeds but can
run out of headroom fast and then the low-end starts collapsing. The Cali is not as bad at doing
that as something like a Fender '57 Tweed, but it still has that Tweed vibe. The Fillmore has more
of Blackface vibe and more headroom to handle pedals better.

I have run both a Fractal FM3 into the FX Return of the Fillmore 50, and right now have it set up with
a pedalboard (8 pedals--dirt and time-based fx) in front.

Thanks, that’s good to know. I had a Hullett 5e3 a while back but it’s been a long time since I used a tweed style amp so I’ve kind of forgotten some of their quirks

I get a kick out of all the D&M guys loving the Badlander so much. It is a super cool amp and it seems Mesa has drawn in players looking for more modern solutions by having all the IRs, etc?

I actually bought a Badlander 100 head but ended up returning it. I liked the Clean channel for clean to classic rock crunch (though didn't love it), but could not get into the Crunch or Crush at all. Tried it loud with my band with a Mesa Trad 4x12 (V30 s) and at home with a Lone Start 2x12 (C90s).

I much prefer my Electra Dyne. That amp just fills me with love every time I play it. Have stuck with it over the Royal Atlantic 100, Stiletto Deuce, Mark V, TC50, and Badlander now.

I don't much about the Origin series, will have to check it out!

Also need to try the Cali Tweed and Fillmore.

I should add: I don't mean to sound like I'm rudely crapping on the Badlander. It has a lot of pluses vs the Electra Dyne: way better master volume, separate control over the channels, multiple IRs and DI option, and is sleeker and lighter.

Just for my approach, which is like JCM800 with preamp on 6-7 for rhythm and then boosting with an SD1-type or Keeley Fuzz Head for lead or gainer rhythm, the Badlander Crunch mode was already too gainy-y even at lower settings, and then the Clean wasn't quite gain-y enough, even at the higher settings. It was also very mid-heavy with my LP and Bare Knuckle Black Dog pickups, which are already mid-humped, and then throw in some V30s and it was too much gain and mids.

But I LOVED its form factor and two duplicated channels approach, and the IRs/DI would've been cool to try. I just can't shake the Electra Dyne and how perfect it is for how and what I play, no matter what I try, haha.

I was so certain I would love the Tone King Falcon Grande that I ordered one unplayed from Sweetwater (I'm several states away from being able to play one in the flesh). I spent a day convincing myself i'd grow to love it and then another day or two realizing I needed to return it ASAP before I accidentally nicked it.

I didn't think it was crazy dark, a little, yes. The reverb was god awful. It had such a long decay there was no way to dial it in to anything subtle - church tones only. And the ironman II I thought was terrible. Knocking off more than 3 dB it seemed to add soooooo much compression and fizz. Ugh.

I'll just keep using them as cosmetic inspiration for my custom modeling combos.

I also loved the Cali tweed when I played it. That and Suhr Badger are about the only amps that occasionally tempt me away from modeling these days.

I should add: I don't mean to sound like I'm rudely crapping on the Badlander. It has a lot of pluses vs the Electra Dyne: way better master volume, separate control over the channels, multiple IRs and DI option, and is sleeker and lighter.

Just for my approach, which is like JCM800 with preamp on 6-7 for rhythm and then boosting with an SD1-type or Keeley Fuzz Head for lead or gainer rhythm, the Badlander Crunch mode was already too gainy-y even at lower settings, and then the Clean wasn't quite gain-y enough, even at the higher settings. It was also very mid-heavy with my LP and Bare Knuckle Black Dog pickups, which are already mid-humped, and then throw in some V30s and it was too much gain and mids.

But I LOVED its form factor and two duplicated channels approach, and the IRs/DI would've been cool to try. I just can't shake the Electra Dyne and how perfect it is for how and what I play, no matter what I try, haha.

All those pluses are pretty much what appeals to me about it: Better master volume, duplicated channels with separate control, multiple IR and DI options.

I loved the Electra Dyne too, I only tried one a couple times but really liked it

I was so certain I would love the Tone King Falcon Grande that I ordered one unplayed from Sweetwater (I'm several states away from being able to play one in the flesh). I spent a day convincing myself i'd grow to love it and then another day or two realizing I needed to return it ASAP before I accidentally nicked it.

I didn't think it was crazy dark, a little, yes. The reverb was god awful. It had such a long decay there was no way to dial it in to anything subtle - church tones only. And the ironman II I thought was terrible. Knocking off more than 3 dB it seemed to add soooooo much compression and fizz. Ugh.

I'll just keep using them as cosmetic inspiration for my custom modeling combos.

I also loved the Cali tweed when I played it. That and Suhr Badger are about the only amps that occasionally tempt me away from modeling these days.

Yeah, the reverb in both that and the Imperial I wasn’t crazy about. I just don’t like dark amps in general so I’m probably exaggerating more than what others might think.

I come from Matchless/Bad Cat land where we’re all about sparkly brilliant chime and high end and tight understated bass. :clint

My theory is that the Imperial must be voiced to work well with a vintage Strat at really high volume levels. It seems like it would be great at that. With the LP around 90db? Not so much

Back