Votes: 3 5.3%
  • 10-15

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • 10+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 and Less

Votes: 4 7.0%

• Total voters
In the summer of 1985 after moving to Central Florida, my first new friend let me borrow his Harmony department store guitar. He taught me a couple on chords so I could play rhythm while he practiced his lead.

I didn't get my own guitar for almost a year until I began taking lessons from a talented young instructor, Chris Juergensen (https://www.youtube.com/@chrisj64). I studied with Chris until he left to study at Musicians Institute.

theSpinMen-1990_1.jpg

Picture is from 1990 with my first original band.

My journey continues.

{edited for spelling & added URL for Chris Juergensen}

Last edited:
I started in the summer of 2019 at age 33 🤣

10+ years ago when I was still in university, I told a fellow student who played guitar that I would also learn guitar in my next life. He looked at me aghast and said: "What's that supposed to mean 'in your next life'? Why don't you just learn guitar if you want to?". Yeah, why didn't I? Guess I was too busy drinking beer and skipping classes...

Took me almost a decade to understand what he meant. I may be too late to become as good as Blackmore, Morse, Petrucci, or EVH but I don't need to. If all goes well, I'll have another 4 to 5 decades of playing guitar (and buying gear) ahead of me, which is something great to look forward to.

Glad I started playing and found this forum (so I do not need to make all the mistakes myself 🤣)

Got my first guitar in 1995, so nearly 30 years. I had been drumming for a year and started a band with friends in middle school, and when they left their gear at my house, I started learning to play. I did take a break for a few years in the late 2000's and again in the early 2010's.

From a playing standpoint, obviously I made the most progress the first few years. I got probably 80% of my playing ability then, from learning chords and scales to vibrato and picking and all that. Since then it's been a lot less, mostly because I haven't been super focused. I don't have concrete goals so don't work towards them, and spend way too much time fussing with gear. But that's also kind of fun.

And I used to think how awful the 1970s were… crime, inflation, Vietnam war, pollution, no gasoline, disco, weak ass heroin and coke, blow dryers and feathered hair, large collars wide ties and lapels, velour and polyester, etc etc

Until 2021-23 hit lol 😂

Chris Harrison Disaster GIF
Don't worry, the 1970s are coming back in vogue so soon we will have 2021-23 + blow dryers and feathered hair, large collars wide ties and lapels, velour and polyester, etc etc.

Started in the mid-1990s but still don't consider myself that great. My theory knowledge sucks for one. I used to have better chops because I had the time and will to spend time to maintain them. Now I've settled into being comfortable with my technique.

30+. Started when I was 17, will be 49 in a few months. Wow, the time goes by fast.

I did get a plastic Bee Gees toy guitar when I was 5? I have a picture of me holding it then and it looks so natural like I'm actually playing. Funny thing is, I never picked up a real guitar til I was 17.

~36 years, started at 15 when I saw Vai as Jack Butler, turning 52 this year. But I've not done 35 years of development as a player. I'm comfortable with at least in the respect that it's my hobby, not my profession.

Dabbled with gigging as a youngster, and again in my late 20's/early 30's. But my local scene from a networking standpoint was full of drug-fucked losers, thieves and dreamers (probably a familiar sight). I wasn't cut from that cloth. Was still playing sport into my early 30's.

So, from that point on (early 30's), I couldn't be bothered. I regret not taking steps negotiating that - it is so much fun playing music with others, and meeting people to do it with as I've got older is such a mysterious and difficult pursuit.

I've pretty much always been a "go to work" kind of guy and have had a solid income as an electrical tech. So, though I still improve every year on the guitar, my vocation has fueled the interest in rig building, gear and amp mods - has transcended just playing, for better or wor$$$e.

Last edited:
I got my first guitar when I was 13 and I turn 33 next month so pretty much bang on 20 years. My playing is wildly inconsistent considering that time! I could play you a decent sounding tune one day and struggle to play a clean power chord the next 😂

Back