Are Sennheiser HD 660 S 'phones any good for modellers?

Did you ever find something @jellodog ? I didn't realize there was such a headphone collecting hobby happening :unsure:

If $$ isn't a consideration I would look into Slate VSX. They are fantastic. Problem, they need the software to sound right and the stand alone version isn't out yet.

They emulate many headphones and studios.

Did you ever find something @jellodog ? I didn't realize there was such a headphone collecting hobby happening :unsure:

I decided to try the Massdrop HD 6XX, as @Jarick suggested. I am pleased to find out that they ship to Canada for a very reasonable shipping fee. There's 5 days left to order under the current cycle; but I'm moving house right now and things are a bit up in the air. I might wait until Monday to ensure that my CC registered address has updated properly.

If $$ isn't a consideration I would look into Slate VSX. They are fantastic. Problem, they need the software to sound right and the stand alone version isn't out yet.

They emulate many headphones and studios.

Those do indeed look good.

Price point is just a tiny bit more than I want to spend right now; mainly because I've been a little bad and made a boutique amp purchase this year, as well as an FM3 and a good deal of other stuff (!).

I decided to try the Massdrop HD 6XX, as @Jarick suggested. I am pleased to find out that they ship to Canada for a very reasonable shipping fee. There's 5 days left to order under the current cycle; but I'm moving house right now and things are a bit up in the air. I might wait until Monday to ensure that my CC registered address has updated properly.
I don't think you'll regret this at all. They're great.

I wish I could put my HD600 'phones on everyone's head who is headphone shopping, just so they could hear a real-world sample of how good they are. And this definitely isn't honeymoon-phase for me. I've been using HD580 and HD600 phones (basically the same thing) for over 15 years. :chef

Because I'm not a normal person, I decided to pick up the Sennheiser HD 560s (Amazon Prime same day shipping is a blessing and a curse). These are another good set of fairly neutral open back Sennheiser headphones. They trade in a bit of the warmth of the HD 6xx (650) for a little bit clearer sound, a little more low end extension, and a bit of sparkle in the highs. But nowhere near approaching the Beyerdynamic levels of treble spike.

Mostly, I'm planning to use the 560s with my iPad upstairs and the 6xx with my computer/guitar rig in the basement.

UPDATE: Well it took me weeks to get my s**t together following the house move, but I finally ordered the Massdrop HD 6XX.

The price has fluctuated a little bit, but they are $199 USD today!

Thanks all for sharing your knowledge and experience 🙇‍♂️

Just checking in...

I tried the Massdrop HD 6XX headphones with the FM3 this evening and it's the best I've ever heard a modeller sound in headphones. Super happy with them!

Congrats!

I am still using the HD 6xx as my primary headphones for guitar, although I'm using monitors more than anything nowadays.

I did get some replacement cables though, both for the HD 6xx and the 560s from Amazon. There's a company called New Fantasia or something and they make good replacement cables for not much money. The cable for the 560s was both very long and really flimsy feeling and the aftermarket cable is much more robust and available in different lengths.

The 6xx cable is a little different, it's a longer cable than stock but has a textured plastic covering. Not sure about that one.

Also speaking of Drop, I ordered a pair of the Meze 99 Noir when they were on BF sale. I didn't love them last time around and didn't need them, and kind of regret the impulse buy, but they look interesting. Closed back headphones that are warmer tonality and easy to drive. Would use them with my iPad and Nintendo Switch when I want to block out a bit more noise and have a laid back thing going on.

Back