Are keyboard amps/acoustic amps/drum amps FRFRs, and good for modelers?

kartikg3

Roadie
Been looking at budget options for "FRFR" style speakers for practice, rehearsals and small gigs (also as monitors), for a small 4 piece band.

Stumbled upon these.
1000038864.png
1000038863.png
1000038862.png
1000038861.png

Does anyone have any experience with running modelers through these (with cabinet/IR turned ON on their modelers ofcourse)..

The cool thing is that some of these have extra channels for mics and seperate eq and basic reverb for vocals and/or acoustic guitars as well.

Getting a pair of one of these types can be a great budget stereo rig for modeling playthroughs and double up as stereo acoustic+vocal gigs.

TLDR: are keyboard amps/acoustic amps/drum amps FRFRs and good for amp modelers?

I have no experience playing through any of those, but I would think that they would not be much better than a decent PA system. Are you going to be playing only acoustic/semi-acoustic music?

When I started out years ago playing only acoustic, I tried the one-amp-to-do-everything, and failed miserably. I tried an acoustic amp to do my acoustic playing plus electric guitar I was trying to teach myself how to play and I also tried playing acoustic guitar through a Duoverb and a Flextone III with at best average results.

Right now, I play my Stomp XL through the poweramp in my Catalyst 200 and a cheap Monoprice tube amp. It isnt perfect but it sounds really good to my ears and the other guys I play with.

Are you going to be playing only acoustic/semi-acoustic music?
Not at all! In theory these look like they can double as FRFRs, so I was thinking I can use these to play my HX Stomp through, with can/IR turned on.

No, all of these mentioned above will sound awful. Get yourself a decent little powered PA speaker with a decent flat response at the very least.

Short answer is yes.
However, the size, shape, and quality of the amp make a difference so consider the application.
After years of plugging my modelers into all sorts of boxes with speakers I’ve found nothing defies physics, basic logic and economics.
For years I used a Roland keyboard amp that was a 1x12 100w in a box with a similar shape to a guitar combo. I gigged it on stage with other guitarists and never thought twice about the sound.
Now I have a Roland Cube Street which is better for practicing or just monitoring myself on stage. When I go direct into a PA I just have to be mindful of the whole high cut/low cut thing, but I’ve found that good speaker sims/IRs often don’t need it.
Every speaker sounds slightly different, but so does every room yadda yadda yadda.
Without fail, the higher quality of speaker, the less eq and general fuss. However, some cheap stuff is good quality. What you’re looking at seems to be knock offs of the Roland stuff so it’s probably fine.

It's been done before. Headrush's popular "FRFR"-112 is, quite literally, a rebranded cheap PA speaker.

Dedicated alternatives will sound better, but a decent monitor/PA should do fine for guitars with modelers.

Back