Anyone use noise gates?

Did you hit up Raf? He is probably not similar stylistically to what you like to do but has ran the gamut on every noise gate there is.
I looked at all he recommended and didn’t recommend. I was going to get the tc electronic sentry, but it’s on hold till next year due to chip shortage . I went ahead and got the decimate mini cause it has some good reviews, and I’m sure it will be a little bit different of a tool for me than it is for raf.

I looked at all he recommended and didn’t recommend. I was going to get the tc electronic sentry, but it’s on hold till next year due to chip shortage . I went ahead and got the decimate mini cause it has some good reviews, and I’m sure it will be a little bit different of a tool for me than it is for raf.
Report back when you get it. I want noise reduction, not necessarily gating.

I had a ISP was great, but so is the one in the Helix as is the Horizon Gate

I was futzing with the built in input block gate last night a bit. Trying to find that sweet spot where it kills some of the strat pickup noise without completely chopping everything off was a little bit of a challenge.

Into this thread b/c I never used a noise gate pedal and am finally considering one. A Decimator II Noise Reduction pedal is currently at the top of my list.

May interest you in a Donner Noise Killer (Amazon special). It's surprisingly good!

Just realized that's what boogie posted above lol
+3 for the Donner Noise Killer. Got mine for like $24 a few years ago. Best noise gate I've ever had. Built just as solid as any of my other pedals and has some great features. Just checked and Amazon has it right now for $39, but it's still a smoking deal for what you get.

+3 for the Donner Noise Killer. Got mine for like $24 a few years ago. Best noise gate I've ever had. Built just as solid as any of my other pedals and has some great features. Just checked and Amazon has it right now for $39, but it's still a smoking deal for what you get.
Probably the same innards as other cheap mini-size gates from Chinese suppliers, only branded differently.

The prices usually vary from something like 20 to 40 bucks.

So oddly enough; I got the ISP mini for peanuts here a little bit ago at a pawnshop. Looking forward to see how it does later this evening with the Boogies.

I try not to use gates, no matter how subtle I set the gate I always hear it cuts something that I still want "in", even if it is really close to the noise level. Hope it makes sense.

I try not to use gates, no matter how subtle I set the gate I always hear it cuts something that I still want "in", even if it is really close to the noise level. Hope it makes sense.
It was like cheaper than buying a Donner off Amazon for the same purpose price so I just said screw it and bought it :rofl I picked up an MXR flanger for the same price as well.

Guptech Sun and call it a day.

It may be better than my lichtlaerm gate in terms of transparency, plus it's got enough headroom to work in an old school SLO loop which is how I run mine.

This little Decimator is awesome. It didn't come with the Y audio cable so I will probably grab one for pedals up front of my amp. This Flanger has a nice way about it as well :chef

Back