Anyone Running Tonex CS with Line 6 Catalyst Amp?

Byrdman

Roadie
I am running Tonex CS plugin into my Catalyst 200. Anyone out there do this yet? If so, can you tell me how you have it set up?

I picked the Cat 200 as the Input and Output, but there are not many options in settings. It doesnt sound good at all and latency is bad.

EDIT - Got it working needed to switch to ASIO and change the inputs/outputs

Last edited:
Is there a way to make use of the Catalyst pre and post effects with the insertion of the ToneX instance? That would be epic if it was possible to save a few presets that used ToneX as a 'replacement' amp block in the signal chain of the preset.

Is there a way to make use of the Catalyst pre and post effects with the insertion of the ToneX instance? That would be epic if it was possible to save a few presets that used ToneX as a 'replacement' amp block in the signal chain of the preset.

I really have no experience doing this before and just got it working yesterday, so I am going to dive in deeper today. I was helped by rd2rk over at the Line6 forum getting everything set up and this is what he told me -

If you want the pure amp sim, use inputs 3/4 as inputs to your DAW/Amp Sims and outputs 1/2 back to the Cat.
If you want to use ITB fx before the Cat's signal chain, use inputs 3/4 and outputs 3/4.

As far as using Tonex as a block in the signal chain, I'm not sure that would be possible with the amp alone since it is limited in that. Maybe using it with a midi controller, or a HXFX, Stomp, Helix unit would be able to make it possible by putting the computer in the chain somehow as if it was the Tonex pedal and being able to turn it on/off or change amp. I dont have any of the effects/amps units so I dont know for sure. What do you think? Maybe someone here with a lot more experience can tell us for sure.

Out of tone-x into fx return. I'd assume the pre effects aren't going to be anything magical vs a good capture.

Powercab+ has entered the chat! ;)
Oh Yeah Reaction GIF by NBA

Powercab+ has entered the chat! ;)

Another example the Powercab was out there before it's time, IMO.
Out of tone-x into fx return. I'd assume the pre effects aren't going to be anything magical vs a good capture.

Using the Tonex pedal I'm sure that would work, not sure if using just the free software would do that without additional hardware. I'm using the free CS software on a laptop into the USB so you would probably need something like another AI to take the signal from the computer to the FX return to use it that way if I understand what you are saying here.

Pre-effects may be easier to use, and I agree that there is nothing magical. I'm no expert here, but once you capture, you may be more limited if you want to change the settings I think the delay and the reverb options are pretty good on the Catalyst. Everything else, Meh...

Last edited:
I was thinking the effects loop was placed in the traditional location of every other guitar amp. Ignore my suggestion lol

Back