And now we have reached " PEAK PICKUP REVIEW BULLSH%T " .......

BenIfin

Roadie
Just got this as an " X " link in my in-box

Link => Magical Upper Overtones <= Link

I know people have to make a living and businesses need to make money ..... but surely there is some sort of "self-dignity-self-integrity-limit" .... surely ????

Ben

IMG_20240331_015703.jpg

That’s not far off of Bare Knuckle pricing, but at least Bare Knuckle has a wide selection and customization options. Plus, Tim just flat out knows how to voice pickups. One of the few “boutique” pickup companies that I’ll do business with.

That’s not far off of Bare Knuckle pricing, but at least Bare Knuckle has a wide selection and customization options. Plus, Tim just flat out knows how to voice pickups. One of the few “boutique” pickup companies that I’ll do business with.

Yes ..... true ..... but these have " Magical Upper Overtones " ;)

Ben

I was a lollar fangirl for a long time. Then I tried a Bare Knuckle Nailbomb. Then a Bare Knuckle Holy Diver. I mean Lollar is still awesome and I love their P90s but for high gain tones Bare Knuckle is superb.

I scoff at Dimarzio now. I have the right.

I’m actually coming back around to DiMarzio pickups. They kind of have their own thing going on. I find that they work well at giving an otherwise bland guitar, a voice.
I always find that i replace them. I don’t buy them directly, they come in guitars that I’ve bought. The Tone Zone was in two guitars that i got. The only good thing i can say about that pickup is its easy to sell quickly on reverb. 😄

PAF Pro took a couple weeks to sell.

Next is an Air Norton and a True Velvet. They are currently placeholders but disconnected. Pretty lifeless pickups.

Last edited:
I always find that i replace them. I don’t buy them directly, they come in guitars that I’ve bought. The Tone Zone was in two guitars that i got. The only good thing i can say about that pickup is its easy to sell quickly on reverb. 😄

PAF Pro took a couple weeks to sell.

Next is an Air Norton and a True Velvet. They are currently placeholders but disconnected. Pretty lifeless pickups.
I've had a totally different experience with Dimarzios and most of my guitars have them. I've never tried the tone zone or air norton though, but have heard mixed reviews on the tz and it being too dark or something. Everybody's got their favorites and all that matters it what brings it home for you. (y)

I've had a totally different experience with Dimarzios and most of my guitars have them. I've never tried the tone zone or air norton though, but have heard mixed reviews on the tz and it being too dark or something. Everybody's got their favorites and all that matters it what brings it home for you. (y)
Agreed.

Yeah, i haven’t tried them all. Just the ones mentioned, an X2N and Super Distortion way back in the olden days. I was going to try the Steve Vai pickups but I kinda hate his tone. I’m sure you can see my point that after the dimarzio pickups I’ve tried being sort of disappointing, i just moved on. I’d love to try more buy not interested in trying them on my guitars.

On the other hand every Lollar and Bare Knuckle pickup has been a great improvement. And Sheptone really does sound like what they say.

Not saying everyone shouldn’t useDimarzio because i don’t, just saying I kinda hate them. 😂

Agreed.

Yeah, i haven’t tried them all. Just the ones mentioned, an X2N and Super Distortion way back in the olden days. I was going to try the Steve Vai pickups but I kinda hate his tone. I’m sure you can see my point that after the dimarzio pickups I’ve tried being sort of disappointing, i just moved on. I’d love to try more buy not interested in trying them on my guitars.

On the other hand every Lollar and Bare Knuckle pickup has been a great improvement. And Sheptone really does sound like what they say.

Not saying everyone shouldn’t useDimarzio because i don’t, just saying I kinda hate them. 😂
I understand -- my experience with Seymour Duncan is similar. Not that I hate them, I do have a few that I use, but overall they've been mostly a miss when I try them.

I understand -- my experience with Seymour Duncan is similar. Not that I hate them, I do have a few that I use, but overall they've been mostly a miss when I try them.
I do like the Whole Lotta Humbucker. Screamin’ Demon is terrible though.

SD is usually an improvement over OEM but not always.

At this point, I change pickups in every guitar I get and no longer have any brand loyalty. I always said I loved Dimarzio’s the most, but outside of my JEM, I don’t have any Dimarzio’s in any guitars, it’s all EMG, Duncan and Suhr.

From the time I was 16 until last year I kept saying I hated EMG’s, but now I’ve got the damn things in like 4 guitars. :rofl

At this point, I change pickups in every guitar I get and no longer have any brand loyalty. I always said I loved Dimarzio’s the most, but outside of my JEM, I don’t have any Dimarzio’s in any guitars, it’s all EMG, Duncan and Suhr.

From the time I was 16 until last year I kept saying I hated EMG’s, but now I’ve got the damn things in like 4 guitars. :rofl
Yeah same. While DiMarzios dominate in the herd, I have Duncan's (JB's) in a couple guitars, Wilde L500L in another, a couple with EMG's and Monty's and Wizz PAF in my Edwards :)

I've always liked EMGs. They were my very first adventure into pickup changes back around '95. I still have those original sets - 81/85 and S. Thereafter I also got the SV, DG (SA) sets so EMGs were used more live than any other pickups I've owned. The battery thing is a drawback for sure, and certain fuzzes and pedals can be more finicky, which is why I started to move away from them. But damnit, I still have the things stored in drawers because I can't get rid of gear.

Just got this as an " X " link in my in-box

Link => Magical Upper Overtones <= Link

I know people have to make a living and businesses need to make money ..... but surely there is some sort of "self-dignity-self-integrity-limit" .... surely ????

Ben
This is peak illiteracy in guitar magazines not necessarily anything wrong with the product.

I think there's nothing more contextual than pickups. To me there's no good or bad pickup model in the brand names; it's just what fits a particular guitar best. I very much believe your guitar's construction and components have a massive effect on your overall tone, then you've got to find a pickup set that compliments what need from your axe.

Last edited:
Back