An idiot attempts to build a 2204

Amps is what causes the most damage IME. 110 will "weld" to you if you are the ground and the amps will keep going up until the breaker pops or you die. 220 is strong enough to knock you off the charge.

All this talk of death is super inspiring :ROFLMAO:

90S Tv GIF

But duly noted

Gotta be something in the water lol. I decided to start working toward building pedals this year. (Not feeling ambitious enough for amplification yet; that’d be the next logical step.) Bought a DIY pedal kit and refreshed my soldering and electronics tools. So far it’s all just sitting on a table looking sort of pretentious, but I’ll get to it eventually. :)

You’re a much more sensible person than I am. lol

And I actually thought this morning about buying a pedal kit, just to have something to solder and test as I’m getting all the amp components together. Probably a fun way to get some wiring reps in.

You’re a much more sensible person than I am. lol

And I actually thought this morning about buying a pedal kit, just to have something to solder and test as I’m getting all the amp components together. Probably a fun way to get some wiring reps in.
StewMac was the path of least resistance (pun somewhat intended.) Plenty of complete kits (some of which are cheaper on Amazon, once you account for shipping), videos on soldering for noobs, etc.

I’ll keep you posted as I do/ don’t make progress. :D

Thanks man. Building my tool list and this is super helpful.

What type of solder should I be getting? (I’m still on the “watch videos of people showing how to discharge the caps” phase :ROFLMAO: )
You bet!

I’m not an expert by any means, but I like 60/40 tin lead rosin core, anywhere between .5mm to 1mm for PCBs. Lead free is going to be a fight.

And it can’t be said enough, you don’t wanna be breathing in any of it. I’d rather be taken out by a filter cap

Be sure to use a small fan as an exhaust while soldering. You don't want to be breathing those fumes!
A little cup of rubbing alcohol and a small artist paint brush will make cleaning your solder joints really easy.
I avoided soldering for years, partly because I was nervous about the fumes. But I recently read that the lead itself doesn't sublimate at these temperatures, so there's no worry of lead poisoning, at least. Then these recent comments led me to do a little bit of research about all of the scary stuff in the rosin fumes... yikes.

Do you think a cheapie solution like this would be sufficient for occasional use?

Absorber-Prevention-Extractor-Soldering-Desoldering

I avoided soldering for years, partly because I was nervous about the fumes. But I recently read that the lead itself doesn't sublimate at these temperatures, so there's no worry of lead poisoning, at least. Then these recent comments led me to do a little bit of research about all of the scary stuff in the rosin fumes... yikes.

Do you think a cheapie solution like this would be sufficient for occasional use?

Certainly. You can use any inexpensive electric fan pointing away from you, but not blowing over your soldering joints. You just need something to pull the fumes away from you.

Definitely get a solder sucker and braid, they're both good for different things. This is the solder sucker a lot of people in the diy pedal scene use. It's absolutely fantastic.

I only linked the UK site so you can see which one I mean and because it won't let me post a US Amazon link

I'd probably have a go at a few pedals first tbh just so you get some soldering practice in before having a go at your amps board. It can take quite a while to get good consistent joints.

Weller irons are good but also the Hakko fx888d gets a good rep.

Either use 60/40 leaded solder or lead free with 4% silver content. The silver lowers the melting point and makes it behave like leaded solder without the nasty lead part.

Oh and get some blu tac and masking tape. Both of these are great for holding things in place while you solder. Blu tak and the engineer solder sucker listed above were the two best tips I've gotten since I started in diy.

Last edited:

No need to get fancy. Any small fan turned around backwards should be fine. You could even use a window fan blowing across you.

Definitely get a solder sucker and braid, they're both good for different things. This is the solder sucker a lot of people in the diy pedal scene use. It's absolutely fantastic.

I only linked the UK site so you can see which one I mean and because it won't let me post a US Amazon link

I'd probably have a go at a few pedals first tbh just so you get some soldering practice in before having a go at your amps board. It can take quite a while to get good consistent joints.

Weller irons are good but also the Hakko fx888d gets a good rep.

Either use 60/40 leaded solder or lead free with 4% silver content. The silver lowers the melting point and makes it behave like leaded solder without the nasty lead part.

Oh and get some blu tac and masking tape. Both of these are great for holding things in place while you solder. Blu tak and the engineer solder sucker listed above were the two best tips I've gotten since I started in diy.

👍

I’ll end up spending as much on tools as the amp parts before it over. :ROFLMAO:

Which is pretty much in line with every home project I’ve ever done too. lol

Back