An Experiment in Mid Gain Tones

Deadpan

Shredder
Vendor
Doing some comparison with a single guitar DI reamped through different Tonex captures to see how well the differences of the amps are audible.

The cabs and micing are not the same on each, only unchanged variable is the DI.

Thoughts on the differences?

First two sound similarly twangy, as if they were both based on hot-rodded Marshalls perhaps? The third has a different gain structure and cab sound all together. Hotter and less articulate.

Final sounds similar in gain to the first two, but with a darker can, maybe?

First two are right up my alley with these kinds of those, that 2204 is fuckin’ sweet. The latter two aren’t my favorite tones but are probably great for blending with opposing-type tones.

First two sound similarly twangy, as if they were both based on hot-rodded Marshalls perhaps? The third has a different gain structure and cab sound all together. Hotter and less articulate.

Final sounds similar in gain to the first two, but with a darker can, maybe?
The Traynor is slightly dark but when boosted it is amazing for me.

I love the Bad Kub and the Trynr; they have a bit more character to them.
The amps definitely do in person also. The Bad Cat has a Matchless type chime and the Traynor has a similar vibe but at different frequencies. Both glassy.

The amps definitely do in person also. The Bad Cat has a Matchless type chime and the Traynor has a similar vibe but at different frequencies. Both glassy.

That’s because Bad Cat was born out of Matchless from the same builder - Mark Sampson. The original Bad Cats were essentially rebranded Matchless made from left over Matchless parts.

I prefer the first by a substantial margin. The second sounds similar, but with an artificial-sounding, bloated bottom end. The third has too much gain and sounds distant - almost "blanketed" - and the fourth sounds a bit scooped and distant as well.

Last edited:
I prefer the first by a substantial margin. The second sounds similar, but with an artificial-sounding, bloated bottom end. The third has too much gain and sounds distant - almost "blanketed" - and the fourth sounds a bit scooped and distant as well.
I hadn't considered the quality of the 3rd and 4th to be distant but I can hear what you refer to.

How does this one compare to the 4th for you?

Doing some comparison with a single guitar DI reamped through different Tonex captures to see how well the differences of the amps are audible.

The cabs and micing are not the same on each, only unchanged variable is the DI.

Thoughts on the differences?

Something about the Traynor one is special. It's darker but has a full low end character without being bloated. Probably sound great blended with 1 or 2.

Back