Amp Incoming... did I make a mistake?

I have been using the BL with the Stomp and running a direct feed to FOH that way. It's been awesome and I recommend it whole-heartedly.

Are you running a direct feed from the BL, or are you using the Stomp for IRs?

I'm trying to decide how to handle my feed to FOH and I know there are some gotcha's in there I don't have much experience with.

Are you running a direct feed from the BL, or are you using the Stomp for IRs?

I'm trying to decide how to handle my feed to FOH and I know there are some gotcha's in there I don't have much experience with.
I am running a tap out from the Stomp send. Basically before it heads back from the Stomp output to the amp's return. There is certainly room to overthink it ("but poweramp!") but I am just ignoring those traps. The sound coming out of the PA is great to my ears.

I am running a tap out from the Stomp send. Basically before it heads back from the Stomp output to the amp's return. There is certainly room to overthink it ("but poweramp!") but I am just ignoring those traps. The sound coming out of the PA is great to my ears.

I've been trying to decide if it's worth getting something like the Two Notes CAB M, or if I can somehow use my Stomp. I won't have an effects loop to work with, but I'm already thinking it might be good to have an attenuator anyway so I might just go ahead and pick up a Tone King Ironman.

I'm wondering if something like this would work or if it might give me noise problems:

Guitar > Stomp Input > (effects in Stomp) > Stomp Send > Input of /13 > Ironman > Ironman Line out > Stomp Return > Stomp Out to DI/FOH

Other option might be to just get a separate IR loader like a TC Electronic one and run the line out of the Ironman to that. Then the Stomp is just dedicated to pre-amp effects. But I hate to spend the extra money on an IR loader if there's a way I can just do it all in the Stomp

Reactions: JT
I've been trying to decide if it's worth getting something like the Two Notes CAB M, or if I can somehow use my Stomp. I won't have an effects loop to work with, but I'm already thinking it might be good to have an attenuator anyway so I might just go ahead and pick up a Tone King Ironman.

I'm wondering if something like this would work or if it might give me noise problems:

Guitar > Stomp Input > (effects in Stomp) > Stomp Send > Input of /13 > Ironman > Ironman Line out > Stomp Return > Stomp Out to DI/FOH

Other option might be to just get a separate IR loader like a TC Electronic one and run the line out of the Ironman to that. Then the Stomp is just dedicated to pre-amp effects. But I hate to spend the extra money on an IR loader if there's a way I can just do it all in the Stomp
Probably? There was a thread on FAS forum where a guy was running an amp with a load and it was having issues with the FM3 but he said it was no problem with the Stomp? There are really a bunch of overthinking pitfalls in this type of scenario so tread lightly :oops:

So you got a super squishy little "Supro"???? :unsure:

:crazy

I kid. I do wonder about headroom, though.

Is that like an expensive man's version of an Egnater Rebel 20/30??

Last edited:
Reactions: V|J

There goes that fleeting wave of simplifying?? :LOL:

So you got a super squishy little "Supro"???? :unsure:

:crazy

I kid. I do wonder about headroom, though.

Is that like an expensive man's version of an Egnater Rebel 20/30??

I hope not. I played a Rebel and a Tweaker once and thought they both sounded like :poop: :barf

Headroom is tricky, I want just enough, but not too much.

There goes that fleeting wave of simplifying?? :LOL:

We'll see. But I didn't do this for simplicity.

To be honest, this first run of shows I'll be using it for I could probably plug straight into the amp with one guitar, hang an e609 over the top and use no other gear. But I think I'll be happier with the sound if I add a few extra pieces to the mix.

Probably? There was a thread on FAS forum where a guy was running an amp with a load and it was having issues with the FM3 but he said it was no problem with the Stomp? There are really a bunch of overthinking pitfalls in this type of scenario so tread lightly :oops:

Yeah, I don't want to get too deep in the weeds with it. I just want a clean signal to send to FOH with some sort of cab emulation that doesn't sound like garbage.

If you get into a ground loop noise problem with the 4cm, you could lift the shield on a cable or two. Most attenuators have a ground lift or a transformer on the line out.

5879's are cool sounding. Like the P90 of the preamp tubes. They are a pentode. 12AX7 is a dual triode.

It turns out a physical amp is going to be required for some gigs in the next 6 months so I took the plunge and purchased one yesterday. I'm already having second thoughts and buyers remorse and it hasn't even shipped yet.

The amp I decided on is a Divided By 13 JRT 9/15.

I was all set to get either a Dr Z Z28 MkII or a Bad Cat, but I started to worry about the EF86 tubes in them being a hassle and failure point. So at the last minute I went with the /13 instead. I've always wanted to try one IRL and I found a decent deal on one that seems like a good fit, but now I'm thinking it through and starting to worry about a couple things:

1. 5879 tubes.

I know they have a tendency to be more microphonic than 12ax7s and they are no longer made. I'm seriously hoping they don't become a failure point and difficult to source. But they've been used for a long time and they still seem to be readily available right now. Anyone have any experience using these?

2. Volume/Tone flexibility

I started thinking, the volumes on this amp are a big part of how you dial in the tone, but they also change the level, and there is no master volume. I'm worried that means it will be difficult to get the tone I want at the volume I want. I'm also worried the amp is going to fall into the "goldilocks" zone of being too loud for quiet gigs and too quiet for loud gigs.

Mostly I think I've just played every gig for the past 8 years with digital gear and I'm a little scared of changing to a tube amp. It's been a long time and I'm having confidence/trust issues with the idea. I keep picturing the thing falling apart in the middle of a show, squealing and hissing...

It's been awhile since I played thru one but if my foggy memory is right I think it's an amp that really needs volume to open up.

So #2 will be the issue. Lots of really great amps are just too d*mn loud. I'm not a fan of attenuators so I always keep some sort of external effects in case you need to get the distortion/compression/sustain at lower volumes.

Tbh I was starting to think that the badlander was the only non modeler allowed to be discussed here
Don’t forget about the…
93B51DE7-C9F5-4250-AF4C-A9E47A6AAC92.gif

…200

I remember Paul McCartney’s band using divided by 13 amps years ago and they sounded amazing, that’s about all I ever saw of them though

i had a JRT 9/15 and it is a killer amp for those mid-gain tones. sounds bigger than the wattage and power would suggest, especially going into a bigger cabinet or a closed-back design of some sort.

i wouldn't worry about reliability as fred taccone's designs are really built well.

most tube amp issues can be traced to bad or worn power tubes. really.

Back